South Africa Hunt Booked. :)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Ya, I dunno if it will ever happen. I've tried several times and never quite made it happen.

Getting older. Not making as much money. Not as interested in going overseas again.

I dunno. Maybe, but it's fallen way down on my list of things to do. I feel like I missed the window of opportunity on this one. That's okay. I'm pretty content hunting birds, bears, deer and elk here in the northwest. :)

Guy

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Ain't that the way things work! This sounds great. I have no doubt that many people, myself included, will enjoy the photos you bring. Who knows? You may have a trophy shot with some fine beast you brought down. Good stuff! We're all pulling for you.

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
boy- sure hope things work out. Its always good to have something to look forward too. CL

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Guy glad you are getting the opportunity to go. Know it will be fun for you gun or camera. Looking forward to the write up and photos. Dan.

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
Guy,

a wise friend told me that you seldom regret what you have done, but you very often regret what you have not done.

I myself have realized this and started taking a few trips I otherwise would not have taken. Last fall I was very lucky to take a Canadian Moose and elk on a trip to BC. In May 24 I will take a Peninsula Brown Bear hunt.

So if Africa is indeed on your bucket list it is great that you are doing this while you are physically able to. None of us are getting younger (i'm 61). Ive hunted Africa 3 times and each was a different yet very enjoyable experience. Might be up to one more trip in the future if the Covid issue ever straightens up.

Good luck and hope we get to see some pictures.

I do appreciate what you do on this board as well as on youtube. You have helped many with your sage advice on shooting and reloading!

Thanks

Jimbeaux

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Wow! Thank you.

Yes, even Mama is happy that I'm going this year. One of those things I've wanted to do since I was a young fellow, but one thing or another kept getting in the way.

I'm hope to keep it simple with one rifle, two scopes (both already sighted in and in rings) a cleaning/maintenance kit, and 80 rounds all loaded the same. I'm only looking at hunting four or five animals, but the PH said "bring lots of ammo, we may do more shooting than you think." That sounded interesting.

And of course the camera, batteries, charger, lenses, etc... Hoping to get a LOT of wildlife photos too. Might never get back there, so better get the photos while I can.

Guy

TKessel

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
Guy,

a wise friend told me that you seldom regret what you have done, but you very often regret what you have not done.

I myself have realized this and started taking a few trips I otherwise would not have taken. Last fall I was very lucky to take a Canadian Moose and elk on a trip to BC. In May 24 I will take a Peninsula Brown Bear hunt.

So if Africa is indeed on your bucket list it is great that you are doing this while you are physically able to. None of us are getting younger (i'm 61). Ive hunted Africa 3 times and each was a different yet very enjoyable experience. Might be up to one more trip in the future if the Covid issue ever straightens up.

Good luck and hope we get to see some pictures.

I do appreciate what you do on this board as well as on youtube. You have helped many with your sage advice on shooting and reloading!

Thanks

Jimbeaux
Well said sir!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Went ahead and bought a nice two-rifle SKB case.

Will probably do most of my hunting with the good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 CDL. Messing around with a new handload built around the 165 grain Hornady CX bullets. Showing promise. Details once I come up with the final load.

Couldn't leave the 375 H&H Number One home though! Bought it about 12 years ago with the intent of taking it to Africa... All I ever shot with it were a few black bears and one unfortunate rockchuck. Wrong place, wrong time for him. I'll likely just load up more of the 260 grain Nosler Accubonds. They worked great on black bear and shoot well from that rifle. It's been to Africa before, with a prior owner. I'm looking forward to hunting there with it.

Plainsgame. Focus on gemsbok, though I could get talked into taking any of the larger antelope such as waterbuck, wildebeest, kudu...

And the camera... :) Very happy that we've set aside a few days early in my trip for some wildlife photography near Kruger National Park. I hope to get photos of elephant, rhino, cape buff, maybe even lion! Except for buffalo, I probably can't even dream of being able to afford to hunt any of those with my rifle, but with the camera? You bet! :)

Have been practicing shooting from standing and shooting off the bog-pod sticks as well. Just shot a rockchuck yesterday from standing, using the sticks. 135 yards, steep downhill, with my 204 Ruger varmint rifle. The little 35 grain Berger hollow point at over 3800 fps worked just great. Poor Chucky...

Am pretty excited about the trip. :)

Guy