South Africa Hunt Booked. :)

TKessel

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
Went ahead and bought a nice two-rifle SKB case.

Will probably do most of my hunting with the good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 CDL. Messing around with a new handload built around the 165 grain Hornady CX bullets. Showing promise. Details once I come up with the final load.

Couldn't leave the 375 H&H Number One home though! Bought it about 12 years ago with the intent of taking it to Africa... All I ever shot with it were a few black bears and one unfortunate rockchuck. Wrong place, wrong time for him. I'll likely just load up more of the 260 grain Nosler Accubonds. They worked great on black bear and shoot well from that rifle. It's been to Africa before, with a prior owner. I'm looking forward to hunting there with it.

Plainsgame. Focus on gemsbok, though I could get talked into taking any of the larger antelope such as waterbuck, wildebeest, kudu...

And the camera... :) Very happy that we've set aside a few days early in my trip for some wildlife photography near Kruger National Park. I hope to get photos of elephant, rhino, cape buff, maybe even lion! Except for buffalo, I probably can't even dream of being able to afford to hunt any of those with my rifle, but with the camera? You bet! :)

Have been practicing shooting from standing and shooting off the bog-pod sticks as well. Just shot a rockchuck yesterday from standing, using the sticks. 135 yards, steep downhill, with my 204 Ruger varmint rifle. The little 35 grain Berger hollow point at over 3800 fps worked just great. Poor Chucky...

Am pretty excited about the trip. :)

Guy
SKB cases are definitely worth every penny! We switched to them years ago.
Kruger will not disappoint.

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Congratulations Guy. you will never forget the trip and will possibly be looking for a way to return as soon as you arrive home

Went ahead and bought a nice two-rifle SKB case.

Will probably do most of my hunting with the good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 CDL. Messing around with a new handload built around the 165 grain Hornady CX bullets. Showing promise. Details once I come up with the final load.

Couldn't leave the 375 H&H Number One home though! Bought it about 12 years ago with the intent of taking it to Africa... All I ever shot with it were a few black bears and one unfortunate rockchuck. Wrong place, wrong time for him. I'll likely just load up more of the 260 grain Nosler Accubonds. They worked great on black bear and shoot well from that rifle. It's been to Africa before, with a prior owner. I'm looking forward to hunting there with it.

Plainsgame. Focus on gemsbok, though I could get talked into taking any of the larger antelope such as waterbuck, wildebeest, kudu...

And the camera... :) Very happy that we've set aside a few days early in my trip for some wildlife photography near Kruger National Park. I hope to get photos of elephant, rhino, cape buff, maybe even lion! Except for buffalo, I probably can't even dream of being able to afford to hunt any of those with my rifle, but with the camera? You bet! :)

Have been practicing shooting from standing and shooting off the bog-pod sticks as well. Just shot a rockchuck yesterday from standing, using the sticks. 135 yards, steep downhill, with my 204 Ruger varmint rifle. The little 35 grain Berger hollow point at over 3800 fps worked just great. Poor Chucky...

Am pretty excited about the trip. :)

Guy
Your 375 H & H might end up being your go to rifle while there. Sweet caliber and rifle. Not sure what is on your list, but it is not to much gun for Kudu, Giraffe, Wildebeast, Hippo and a couple others. However the 30-06 will work for the majority of plains game. And depending on where you are going, you may have the opportunity at a Buffalo, at a discount. There is so much to see in so little time, regardless of how many days you have set aside for this trip. I always suggest Victoria Falls if time permits. You will have so much fun, very happy for you !

Last edited:

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
204 Rolled that Chuck proper....you shoulda' been practicing with your .375 though :D. Hope things keep coming together for you. CL

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Guy, just wanted add. I did call and if your interested in hunting buffalo--ask and negotiate . I am told it is not impossible to get a price under 10,000 . Same with the Roan Antelope. These are always a bit higher than most other plain game animals, but they very often will lower their price on them. Also, if the Roan interests you, this is another animal where I would use your 375 H & H, as well as on the Buffalo, if you choice to hunt one.

Guy, like Salmonchaser, you have served your country honorably, worked hard all your life, you deserve this. The sights, sounds, customs, animals, people, food is not something one soon forgets. Enjoy, it all! Sorry, I love Africa and get a bit wound up even if some one else is going. I will bow out and leave you alone. Enjoy

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Sadly, another swing and a miss.

I've tried three times in recent years to get to Africa and hunt. It's never worked.

This time my old nemesis, health issues, prevented me from traveling.

I think I'm giving up, at this point in life, I can be content hunting and fishing in the northwest. Which isn't all bad.

I'll happily read of your African adventures, and wish that I'd gone earlier, when I was healthier. Doc said I was crazy to even try. He's a pretty smart guy and looking after my best interests.

Regrets, Guy

TKessel

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022

I've tried three times in recent years to get to Africa and hunt. It's never worked.

I think I'm giving up, at this point in life, I can be content hunting and fishing in the northwest. Which isn't all bad.

I'll happily read of your African adventures, and wish that I'd gone earlier, when I was healthier. Doc said I was crazy to even try. He's a pretty smart guy and looking after my best interests.

Regrets, Guy
Hate to hear this, you never know it may work out in the future.

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Lemonade from lemons Guy

Have you hunted Stone sheep ? Beautiful animal in beautiful country, just a bit North of you. You enjoyed hunting grizzly in Alaska, look at hunting the Kodiak Bear, have you hunted the Coues deer. Good hunt just a bit south of you. If you can do short flights, a white bear hunt, is a once in a live time hunt and maybe add a muskox to that hunt. little things like that would be good replacement hunts. Not the same, but not to bad either

flyingagg

Beginner
Dec 16, 2019

Regrets, Guy
Sorry to hear that. Don't give up. Try again later, it will be a hunt to remember...
I want to go back but I want to hunt the small five or so, I find them more challennging for me

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004

Regrets, Guy
Guy, sorry to hear about that curve ball. Don't give up on Africa. There are new meds constantly being introduced and maybe one will be your huckleberry.
I second what April said. Shorter flight adventure hunts could be a great option for you. Texas offers some exotic hunts, including some African game as well.
Hang in there my friend, it's far from over!

JD338

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Lemonade from lemons Guy

Have you hunted Stone sheep ? Beautiful animal in beautiful country, just a bit North of you. You enjoyed hunting grizzly in Alaska, look at hunting the Kodiak Bear, have you hunted the Coues deer. Good hunt just a bit south of you. If you can do short flights, a white bear hunt, is a once in a live time hunt and maybe add a muskox to that hunt. little things like that would be good replacement hunts. Not the same, but not to bad either

Thank you, and yes, I have so many great hunting and fishing opportunities that I can do, which is just peachy with me. :)

Regards, Guy

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016

Regrets, Guy
So sorry to hear of the health issues Guy. It is a bummer, no doubt. But the future may still hold some surprises.
Hunting North America can be as exciting, and rewarding, as you well know.
I always like to read of your adventures, and read about your knowledge of hand loading, and hunting.
Here’s to better health, and better times!!

Regards,

Hawk