Spotting scope for a mountain goat hunt

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
I managed to draw on a Mountain Goat hunt for northern Idaho this coming fall. I've never hunted for sheep or goats before, but believe I'm pretty well equipped with the exception of a spotting scope. I know little about spotters, but suspect this is going to be all about compromises (a desire to minimize the size/weight of the spotter due to backpacking in this terrain -- vs -- price -- vs -- mag range, objective size, and optical quality). What would you ladies or gentlemen recommend in the $1k or less range? For what it's worth, I'll also be carrying a pair of 8x30 Maven binos and a Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 scope to compliment whichever spotter I go with. There will likely be times when I'm hunting solo, so probably need to assume everything will be going in and coming out on my back. Thanks.

I really like my x33 vortex razor HD. I used it on my archery hunt and recording prairie dog shots. It's small and powerful- I did a review of it on here last September-October. Can't remember how much it was so I am sorry if it's over your limit.

I'll look for your review -- thanks! That Razor (11-33x50) is at the top of my list for 50 mm spotters (I looked thru one yesterday, but mid-day heat and mirage made it (and everything else) marginal for comparisons. Are there any 60-65 mm spotters out there that offer sufficient advantage over the Razor to make the added weight worthwhile?

Sorry to say that I am not up to date on current models in the $1000 range.

I've been using a 90's vintage Leupold 30 x 60 mm spotting scope for close to 20 years. Light weight and compact, yet with enough power to get a close enough look at sheep and goats within stalking range to determine if the animal is worthy of a stalk, or if I need to get closer for a better look. The Leupold tripod is very sturdy and a smaller, quality unit for your daypack as well. a pack with top or side pockets for easy access while in the mountains will prove useful, for these two items.

I believe that Kowa used to make a decent vriable scope within your budget, but not sure if they are still making them. You may find a decent deal on a good used scope that will work well for you.

I used a 20 x 50 mm Leupold Gold Ring on my mountain goat hunt. It is short, compact, and lightweight. It worked out well for me. I like the Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring scope. It's a nice one also and I like the power range. In fact I'm selling my 20x so that I can get the variable Leupold. I believe the variable I am speaking of runs in the $400.00 to $500.00 range.

Heard good things about Vortex.

I bought a Leupold 10-20x40 Golden Ring Spotting Scope but was disappointed in the clarity so I sold it and bought a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60 Spotting Scope. It does a great job for me looking at targets and vapor trails out to 800 yards as well as hunting for deer and antelope. I think the weight is around 36-38 ozs. plus the tripod.

JD338

The Vortex Razor 11-33x50 is looking like a pretty difficult package to beat. Does Meopta make a spotter in the 50-65 mm range (branded by Meopta or Cabelas)?

Back