Spotting scopes to view at 1000 yards

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I'm in search of a reliable spotting scope which can see bullet holes clearly at 1000 yards, price don't really matter since you get what you pay for. Interested in clear and crisp views.
Are there any reliable target cameras that sends pictures of your shots back to a laptop or a screen device at the shooting table? If so, anything in best in quality and brand?
Beats driving back and forth.

I've got a Leupold 12-40 Golden Ring spotting scope and can see .308-.338 holes in the 800 yard backer behind the gong under the right light conditions. It's also pretty easy to watch the vapor trails.
I think the next level up in image quality and price would be Swarovski.

JD338

If you’re looking for something other than a spotting scope.

IMO target cameras are the only practical way you can see bullet holes in paper at 1,000yds. I have a 60x Vortex scope and when the light conditions are bad I can't make out the holes at 400yds.

A telescope would work but who wants to lug that around.

I have a 20 - 60 x 80 swaro HD spotting scope . there are times it's tough to see holes at a couple hundred yards . for reliable seeing at 1000 I'd be looking at target cameras . these should work under most any conditions . seeing holes is tricky . target color light and bright helps , the holes show up as black . the sun behind you helps . if you're shooting into the sun forget about seeing holes . on our long range we only shoot steel . we keep them painted high gloss white to help see the splats . we set up three spotters . my swaro , another big vortex , and another smaller one maybe a nikon ? there are times none of us can see the impact at the longer distances , but we heard it and saw the target swing . at 1000 yards I'm thinking we can see all the splats on the plate . shooting paper is much harder to see though .

I remember I had a spotting scope I bought back in the early 2000, but sold it several years later, it was hard to see holes at a long distance. The target cameras are nice and 💰. I say to myself, for the amount of time I shoot at 1000 yards which is not much, will it be worth it?
Wondered if driving to and from the target to the bench is a cheaper option. From 400 yards, I can easily see the holes from the ATACR, no further than that.

Last edited:
the camera set up seemed like a lot to carry to and fro , and maybe a little too techy, for me . I'd say it would be your most dependable way of seeing holes at 1000 . some cameras are rated to one mile . I think this would be under ideal conditions.

I forgot to mention in my previous post , Pa gets very humid . maybe if you are in a drier Climate a spotting scope would work much better than the results I've seen .

Back