Stock Choices for R700LH SA Clone

hseII

Beginner
Jul 26, 2016
Hello,

I'm trying to decide what stock to put on my 700 to use hunting, and also working up loads on the bench.

I'd Prefer something that isn't as heavy as my AI 2.0, which is great on the table, but not so portable for stand hunting.

I've looked at the Manners & the McMillan, and even the Magpul, and I just don't know.

Calibers are .260 Remington & .308 Win: pretty plain really.

I want something of a conventional composite stock with a mini chassis.

All Input is appreciated.

There are several choices depending on how much you want to spend. A Bell & Carlson medalist is a good one with little or no fitting needed and Stocky's has one also. Just remember that all composite stocks are heavier than wood as is a laminated stock.

truck driver":1866xgq1 said:
There are several choices depending on how much you want to spend. A Bell & Carlson medalist is a good one with little or no fitting needed and Stocky's has has one also. Just remember that all composite stocks are heavier than wood as is a laminated stock.

Thank You.

I would also suggest the B/C stock. I have a Medalist on my M70 and believe they are a good stock and a good value. For a 700 action, B/C has several light weight versions too, that I wish were offered in the M70. Those won't have a full aluminum bedding block, but are pillar bedded I believe. My BC was a nearly perfect drop in fit. I think I had to sand one area very lightly to get it to drop in. I glass bedded just the lug, though it shot fine without having to do that. Good luck with it and let us know what you end up with. Bret

I've used quite a few McMillan Game Scout stocks recently and have a Game Warden for my soon to be 7-338 Norma Imp. I also have a Manners EH-1 for the 6.5x68 Imp I should have done this week. I'm not sure you can get the McMillan's with a chassis but I know you can get the Manners with them. Personally I'd save the $$ on the chassis and just bed one with pillars (or pay someone to do it for you). I had one Manners chassis stock that didn't fit well. I had to open the rear screw hole up quite a bit to get it to work. A chassis is more apt to move with temperature swings then a good bedding job.

Maybe you'd like this? An Echols Shrike for a SA Rem 700. This one is RH but you could contact Ehols and find out if they are available in LH. They are made by McMillan. I like mine. Nice stock

20160223_142154.jpg

Thanks For all the Advice.

Off to look for the above mentioned options.

BF375":bvp1ssxn said:
Maybe you'd like this? An Echols Shrike for a SA Rem 700. This one is RH but you could contact Ehols and find out if they are available in LH. They are made by McMillan. I like mine. Nice stock

20160223_142154.jpg
What barrel profile is that?

Welcome hseII, just wanted to mention that I truly welcome another South Paw who has joined in as we do get somewhat discriminated against :mrgreen: :lol:.
I have 2 custom rifles with Defiance actions they are 700LH clones, my 35 Whelen has a McMillan hunter stock it is very good & my other custom is a 280AI in a Manners Stock which I highly recommend it is light and has the Titanium rail for bedding. For pure hunting I would go with the Manners or maybe a HS-Precision.
I am looking forward to following your build and future posts from a member that understands the proper way to hold a rifle :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2zsoxawo said:
Welcome hseII, just wanted to mention that I truly welcome another South Paw who has joined in as we do get somewhat discriminated against :mrgreen: :lol:.
I have 2 custom rifles with Defiance actions they are 700LH clones, my 35 Whelen has a McMillan hunter stock it is very good & my other custom is a 280AI in a Manners Stock which I highly recommend it is light and has the Titanium rail for bedding. For pure hunting I would go with the Manners or maybe a HS-Precision.
I am looking forward to following your build and future posts from a member that understands the proper way to hold a rifle :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thank You.

308 on a R700 LH on the Left.
260rem in a Stiller LH on the right.
2c6fd1b011ecc63a08d07fe49f756033.jpg

54c7ff58c7dfa3a27df3c035bf5e6476.jpg

hsell, those are 2 sweet looking rifles. I know that gerry would really be interested in a custom 260 Rem as that calibre is one of his favorites :wink:.
Actually in the last little while I have been attempting to barter with a young lad who wants my CZ527 but he feels his Tikka Hunter in the 260 is much more valuable than my CZ in the 204 but we will have to wait and see how it plays out.
Again thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Back