Successful Montana Hunt

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Roland (Rol_P) and I went to Montana for a combination deer and elk hunt and we tagged out with an elk and deer each.

My primary objective was to bag a 4x4 or better mule deer buck. I succeeded on the second day with a 245 yard, across a gulley, 20 mph cross wind, shot in the blowing snow while laying on snowy rocky ground. That followed watching this buck for about 5 hours and doing a very careful stalk. I was very happy.

image6.jpeg

A week later Roland and I scored a double with 340 yard shots. I tagged a cow elk and Roland immediately tagged the 4 point bull that was with the cow.

DSCN1664.JPG

The following day Roland filled his deer tag with a whitetail doe.

I shot both of my animals with the engraved, left-handed, Bartlein barreled, Win. M70 chambered in 300 Win. Mag. shooting 180 gr. AccuBond bullets.

Roland shot both of his animals with a Hart barreled Rem. 700 action chambered in 30-06 shooting 180 gr. Partition bullets.

Color us happy. :) Dan

Last edited:
Dan and Roland,
Congratulations to both of you on your elk and deer. You both worked hard over the summer working up your loads and tuning up your rifles. The range time paid off and you both have your freezers full. Nicely done gentlemen!

Safe travels back home. Lots of snow here and through NY. Of course you fellas are welcome to stay here on your way home.

JD338

Dan and Roland,
Congratulations to both of you on your elk and deer. You both worked hard over the summer working up your loads and tuning up your rifles. The range time paid off and you both have your freezers full. Nicely done gentlemen!

Safe travels back home. Lots of snow here and through NY. Of course you fellas are welcome to stay here on your way home.

JD338
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. And thank you for the offer. However, I am committed to visiting my sister (Southern Ohio) on the home. We are trying to dodge the snow but not having much luck. We hit multiple white outs yesterday. Scary wind also. Dan

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. And thank you for the offer. However, I am committed to visiting my sister (Southern Ohio) on the home. We are trying to dodge the snow but not having much luck. We hit multiple white outs yesterday. Scary wind also. Dan
No worries Dan. You and Rol have a "Plan B" if needed. Be safe my friend!

JD338

Congratulations fella's! And was nice sitting down and haveing that chat. Was wondering how you made out with the weather change that came through.
Safe travels

Congratulations fella's! And was nice sitting down and haveing that chat. Was wondering how you made out with the weather change that came through.
Safe travels
Patrick, it was nice meeting you. Thanks for stopping over. Maybe we can connect next year also. Dan

Back