TAC in the 35 Whelen

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Anyone try it yet and have some data to share? Since it works so well in the 350 RM it must also be good in the Whelen as well. Looking forward to starting development late this winter when my 200 gr TTSX arrive and hopefully the 200 gr AccuBond will make it across the border too. Nosler says they will make the run of 200 gr AB's in March and will have some data for us shortly after that.

Gerry, TAC and Varget are two of the powders I have always wanted to try in the Whelen, but since RL15 always shot so well, I just gave up on them.. Never did try them. I may just grab a LB of it and give it a whirl. Some folks were reporting some excellent speed and accuracy with TAC.

I tried TAC, but found that RL15 and A 2520 gave me better velocities and better accuracy in my Whelen. I will likely take another look at some point now that I have a Whelen in my safe again, but I'll likely focus on other powders first.

I'm not sure if I actually read this, or it's a result of too many summers in the SoCal desert, but I seem to recall that TAC was better in the .358 Winchester than the Whelen.

TAC works well in my .358 and in my .350 RM. In either case, it works best with light for calibre bullets. Were I to try it in the Whelen, I'd focus on 200 grain or lighter bullets.

DrMike":24rsdt3o said:
TAC works well in my .358 and in my .350 RM. In either case, it works best with light for calibre bullets. Were I to try it in the Whelen, I'd focus on 200 grain or lighter bullets.

That's exactly why I want to use it those new 200 gr bullets that are too good not to try. After a bit of looking the 35 Whelen and 350 RM have almost exactly the same case capacity so if I use Barnes data for the 350 and work up slowly it should work out alright. Of course if Varget works well there won't be any reason to try anything else.

TAC is too fast for most cases over .308 capacity. There are more suitable powders out there. I do like it in .223, .22-250, .350RM, .204 Ruger and the like.

Back