The BEST deer cartridge!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
How many times have we seen that, or some version of it, plastered all over the cover of a hunting/shooting magazine?

We have a handful of different deer species/types here in North America. Whitetail, blacktail, mule deer and variations of those. Yes, I'm leaving out elk, moose, caribou, zebra and unicorns.

Arguments rage. Tempers flare. Thousands are spent on new rifles. New cartridges. New bullets! Handloaders tinker with loads, refining them from .55" groups to .50" groups and rejoicing! Water jugs are blown up, punctured, defiled. Ballistic gel is smashed. Engineers and marketing types debate over the best color of plastic tip to adorn the latest bullet... Rifles are made in stainless, blued, and even camo-dipped finishes....

It's all kind of silly. But an awful lot of fun. Deer fall, as they always have, to a well placed hit. From pretty much anything. Personally, I have used, or seen used:

.223 Rem
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.25-06
.257 Wby
.270 Win
7mm Rem mag
.30-30
.30-06
.300 magnums of various designations
.350 Rem mag (kind of a short, belted Whelen?)
.44 mag revolver
.45 ACP 1911
.45/70
.50 muzzle loader
12 ga slug

The remarkable thing about that list? The deer all made it to the freezer, just fine. No cartridge failures. No bullet failures. Just meat on the table, and antlers on the wall if so equipped.

Pick the rifle, handgun, shotgun that makes you smile when you pick it up, when you just think about taking it afield, and in which you have confidence.

There ya go - Guy being realistic this morning. Meanwhile, back to coffee!

Guy

Wasn't your first cup this morning Guy was it! :lol: You are absolutely correct as usual though. :mrgreen:

Nice wisdom to start the day! I read thru this, and the first thing that came to mind was that the opposite is also true -- a poorly placed shot, whether it be from a 40-yr old 30-30 with duct-taped stock or a $3000 custom rifle, makes for an empty freezer time, and time, and time again.

Now, Guy, The BEST deer cartridge is the one you have in your hand when opportunity presents itself.

LOL Guy... I think Dr. Mike has the executive summary pegged just right... I have even had a few make it to the freezer after an unfortunate meeting on the highway with the vehicles of others. :)

As something of a writer, I realize that sometimes you simply have to write what sells (which is among the reasons I don't do it professionally).

At one time, I could read an article about "the .270 v the .30'06 v the .308" and get completely wound around the axle. That was 30years and XXX number of critters ago though. I've taken a bunch with a 30-30, more with a .308 and even more with a .30'06. And they all died pretty much as planned.

You are correct Guy there are more good rifle's and caliber's than good shot's. I will say it needs to be relaible, I have only sold one rifle in my life a .270 Win. Model 70 that shot sub MOA why it jammed. I was shooting at a Antelope in Wyoming at a bedded Antelope and at a small target and as luck had it I got Wyoming and that Buck got up and ran right by me at 30 yards when it jammed so when I returned home it was sold.
I had Mag. fever in those days and bought a .264 Win Mag Model 70 because Winchester was promoting it a the Uliimate Western Deer & Antelope rifle. In truth I have never needed it in 30+years, but I love the Model 70 as a rifle action.
I have could of made every shot I made with my old Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem. My first big game rifle, I still have and hunt with also.
When I bought my Son a rifle it was a Remington 700 CDL in 25-06 I'm sure he has all the Deer Rifle he will ever need.
Good Hunting

In my mind???? For about 95% of my type of hunting a lightweight 7mm-08

I do think the "best" deer cartridges... all around hunting, and based on the rifles available then and today, were advented over or close to 100 years ago.

6.5x55, 7x57, 30-06, .300 Savage, and .35 rem. You can find a rifle of suitable action, type, weight and reliability and load a round with suitable bullet in one of these rounds to match absolutely any deer hunting scenario one would ever encounter, unless you are perhaps sniping venison at over 400 yards. A few of the magnums might fill this niche a tad better.

EVERY caliber invented since, as far as deer are concerned, simply either does one specific thing a tad better or sells the latest and greatest new rifle or ammunition.

I have a .280 as my main deer gun just because I can and I found a deal on the barreled action, but wouldn't feel outclassed with any of the other first 3 at distance or the last 2 at woods ranges.

I've killed deer with some of the the calibers and cartridges listed and with some that aren't and not with any of the magnums listed. I'm in the 100 year old range with my 30-06 and 257 Roberts, 12ga slug and a .45 cal muzzle loader. I hunt in areas were you can only use a shot gun but the 30-06 has killed more deer for me than any other caliber I own so the 30-06 would be my pick.

I think the 260 Rem and similar sized 6.5's are tough to beat ;) :lol: like the 270 Win as well :)

My 270 WSM is still my favorite. Maybe not best but it's worked near and far.

For DEER period, its still Jack's olde . 270 Winchester.......... near or far, east or west, it was just made to shoot DEER
(With Authority)
Though I am trying to convert my way of thinking, to change that line of thinking, to read 25 Whelen ...............LoL :lol:

I've sifted through lots of cartridges, wasted lots of money and time in search of "perfection",and have to agree with 35 Whelen......just grab a 270,and go hunt.

Ive killed them all over the continent with it and no matter what else I use I can't make them any deader than I can with the 270.

That said I think the topic of deer rifles and perfect deer bullets gets more ink than it needs. But I suppose what else would we talk about otherwise?

Ya - I kind of admire the hunter who has used only one rifle for 20, 30, 40 years of hunting.

But kind of feel sorry for him too - I've had a blast exploring all these different rifles and cartridges over the years...

Guy

They always said " Beware of the man with one gun"................ he probably knows how to shoot it!

Guy Miner":1bjgzv4d said:
Ya - I kind of admire the hunter who has used only one rifle for 20, 30, 40 years of hunting.

But kind of feel sorry for him too - I've had a blast exploring all these different rifles and cartridges over the years...

Guy

That's it exactly Guy.
Why use just one caliber when you can use several. And then there are the bullet choices....

JD338

35 Whelen":2y0nzw5v said:
They always said " Beware of the man with one gun"................ he probably knows how to shoot it!

I know - and I went for years with just a .22 rimfire, my 6mm Rem for coyotes & varmints mostly, sometimes deer hunting, and also an old .30-06 Model of 1917... At least a decade, maybe 15 years like that. It worked just fine, and frankly, I could have taken any game I've ever taken, with that handful of rifles, or even with just the .30-06, but no... I had to go play with all those other cartridges!

:mrgreen:

For quite a few years I had a 7 RM which I used for everything. I don't regret the time with that rifle, but I sure enjoy the variety available now.

Back