This weeks moose hunt. A different kind of success.

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
After my earlier caribou hunt was cancelled due to my buddy nearly dying in a truck accident my wife and I decided to do a 5 day hunt for moose opening week.

This hunt seemed doomed from the start. My wife’s wheeler wasn’t running. I took it in to get a new starter over a month and a half ago. Come Monday morning it wasn’t ready. There had been a mix up and the parts hadn’t been ordered. Luckily they had a mech who was nice enough to get it working so we could take it.

The mud on our normal hunting trail was brutal this year. Really some of the worst I’ve ever encountered. My wife’s wheeler died, right in the worst of it. I ended burying my machine trying to get her towed out. We spent 5 hours stuck there. Finally a pair of guys came along and pulled us out. We ended up hunting with them all week. A great couple of guys. Over the week we all became great friends.

Mud and getting stuck was the daily struggle. It was rough trail conditions. The payoff was LOTS of moose. I’ve never seen so many. I lost track of how many cows and must have seen 15 bulls. At least 5 were legal.

On day one I get up early and my wife and I snuck up the mountain behind camp to do some glassing. While sitting glassing I noticed my scope base had come loose, probably from the hard riding. On the way back to camp we bumped a huge lynx on the trail. I’ve never seen on so big before. We had a 5 minute staring contest at 10 yards before he hopped away. Nothing can stare quite as intently as a lynx. Those intense yellow eyes boring into your soul. It was a cool experience. I tightened and remounted my scope hoping it wasn’t to far off.

On day two we found a nice double fork up high on a mountain. My new friends made the climb while I guided them in from the spotting scope. I have a system of signaling by holing up an arm in the direction the animal is. I watched the bull lay down right as they topped the rise.

I guided them to within 20 yards of the bull and it let them walk right by without getting up. They walked by intent on locating the bull and he slipped out behind them. I was kissing and waving violently trying to get their attention. They didn’t notice him until he had gotten out several hundred yards and missed a shot at him.

We found two fork bulls together high on a hillside later that night and got to within 430 yards. A nice broadside shot cross canyon. I was very tempted but didn’t trust my scope base fix for such a long shot. It would have been a brutal hike to get them out anyway. We came across a gray wolf. I couldn’t get my wife’s 270 out before it crested a cliff and got away.

We continued to see lots of moose but didn’t connect with any. My wife and I had to head back and loaded up to leave yesterday. While we were striking camp our nemesis friends got a nice fork bull.

My wife and I spent the next several hours trying to get her broken wheeler back to the truck. Once again mud and getting stuck plagued us taking hours to get back to the truck.

It was a rough trip but I got to make a couple new friends and spend a week in some of the most beautiful country on earth. Overall a great trip. I didn’t take many pictures. They don’t do the real thing justice. I’ve been meaning to pick up a phone scope.

c93150272f242ec1eee22b7184e5cfef.jpg

818f9fc67a2ce966ff454771dee8f9e2.jpg

a1d4fb06e68057a7e240d3cd2b1ab059.jpg

06d8e6bf119902f12ca3d4bceb4e5f32.jpg

972edaa4f07fd1fb405b5d25b120536b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank for the pics, sounds like a great time. We had to move in Feb and I think about AK everyday, and the chance to return in 2 years.

Oh, yeah, that's moose hunting. I didn't go out for the early moose season this year. Hopefully, I'll make up for it this month. It does sound as if you earned the time afield--you were definitely being challenged. And it does sound as if you rose to meet the challenge. Thank you for the detailed account.

Sounds like an adventure you and your wife are not going to forget anytime soon!
Always nice to meet good people when out and about, and to know there are still good people out there, that share in the outdoors and are willing to lend a hand to those in need.
And a bad day in the bush still beats a good day at work! LOL

Quite an adventure, thanks for sharing your words & photos!

Too bad your buddies didn't see that moose when they were close to it. Ah well, it's hunting.

Guy

They got a different moose the next day

Sounds like an awesome adventure.
Hopefully you can get out again this season.

JD338

Here in Africa we have something called a Lotto. This is how it works.

You choose some numbers, and if Mr Lotto decides to match your numbers he gives you a stack of money.
Apparently Mr Lotto has a large family and his family have these matching number programs all over the world. Go figure.....

Anyway, I am going to match those numbers one day and when I do I hope Mr Lotto gives me enough money to go on one of the exact Moose hunt adventures described by the OP.

What a trip. Seems like you have to go through a few of those once in a while to be able to "cash in a coupon" on one that just happens to be right there and easy to get out. Great country.

A wild and wonderful story from a wild and wonderful part of the world; thanks. Perhaps someday I will be able to get up that way and see it firsthand.

A trip that was not for the weak or timid but one not soon forgotten. Thanks for sharing. Dan.

Back