Thoughts on the Ruger LCP .380

D21ALASKA

Handloader
Oct 29, 2013
Looking to get my girl a nice little .380 for carry and at home. The Ruger LCP keeps popping up and am just wondering if any of you have any thoughts/experience on it. I trust the name obviously but definitely want something reliable for her.

The only comment that I would have is that the small .380 pistols are a little hard to shoot well and control in recoil, just because of their size. I guess that it also depends on how much shooting experience your girl has?

I would try a Kahr CW380 or P380. The smooth longer trigger pull makes it very easy to shoot accurately IMHO. I haven't shot the LCP but I bought my wife a bodyguard 380 before the Kahr. The bodyguard was a piece of garbage, trigger pull in the 12-15 pound range.

I also had a Bodyguard and sold it. It has a really long 12 pound double action pull and no single action. I found to shoot it well, I had to pre-pull the trigger until the higher pull hump, just before firing and hold it, then aim and fire. PITA.

I have a LCP 380 and it is nice to carry in the front pocket of my dress slacks.
It has a very long trigger pull, by design, since it doesn't have a safety. The recoil is rather snappy, something to keep in mind.
Picture009.jpg

I also have a LC9 9mm. Its a little bigger so it doesn't fit well in a front pocket. It isn't bad to shoot recoil wise. Other advantages over the LCP are real sights and an extra round in the magazine.
DSCN03001_zps40a082ba.jpg

JD338

Yes I've been looking at the LC9 as well. Something to keep in mind since it carries quite a bit more energy than the .380 as well. I do like that both of them are available with a built in laser sight off the front of the trigger guard for a reasonable price. I think that's something that would add a bit of confidence for my girl if she ever had to actually use it somewehere besides the range. Thanks for the thoughts guys. I think I'll be taking her down to the shop this week to see how they fit her.

FWIW, both my daughters do not like shooting the LCP.
They do like the LC9 and the both love my Kimber 1911.
IMG_06631.jpg

JD338

Haha. Yeah my girl was looking through a magazine lately and when I asked what kind of pistol she wanted she said a Kimber. I balked on that because of the price at the moment but I did appreciate her taste in handguns. Plus, I don't have my own Kimber yet so obviously she can't get the first one in the family. :p

Maybe you can swing a deal by getting 2 Kimbers. :twisted:
They just feel right in your hand and very reliable.
IMHO, the 45 ACP is king for being a man stopper.

If you can, have your daughter shoot a LC9.

JD338

Ah, so many tools(toys) to buy :) . The list just keeps getting longer. The money's no fun sitting in the bank though.

My wife acquired a 380 LCP Crimson trace last year. She has small hands which are not particularly strong. It was the easiest pistol for her to work the slide. She had no problem shooting it and shoots it well and she is not one to go shooting often.

It carries nicely in her purse etc...She is very happy with it. So I guess taste varies.

Long

JD338":1glaf1q9 said:
JD338

Bought my daughter an LC9 a couple of years ago, which she likes, but she's not too happy about its mediocre accuracy. I said it's about personal protection, not target work. For that it's fine.

Like your daughters, mine likes the Kimber 1911 too... :)
Daughter-Kimber01.jpg

I took my wife to my local gun shop and told her to pick her personal pistol. I already knew she didn't like a full size 9mm and couldn't work the slide.
I gave her my expert opinions on a couple of small autos and she picked a Ruger LCR. I was surprised at the trigger pull. No hammer to hang up on something and the grips fill the hand real well.
I wouldn't pick one for my CCW because mainly it only holds 5 rounds. But I did buy a LH holster for it and do carry it occasionaly. I also carry it in my front pocket some as it is lighter than my M&P.
She shoots it real well and that is what counts in the end. And a revolver always works.
I don't like the fact you can't replace the rear sight as I install Nite sights on mine. But you can change out the front insert so that's better than nothing.
It will shoot .38 spl. +P, or you can now get one in .357 and those are a little more deadly than the .380 I think.

Friend of mine has a 380 LCP and he said it's super accurate but he shoots up close when he shoots it but it's always in his front pocket :mrgreen:

BeeTee":32bch5vt said:
JD338":32bch5vt said:
JD338

Bought my daughter an LC9 a couple of years ago, which she likes, but she's not too happy about its mediocre accuracy. I said it's about personal protection, not target work. For that it's fine.

Like your daughters, mine likes the Kimber 1911 too... :)

Nice!
I think its great to get the girls shooting. Looks like she is having fun.

JD338

wayno945":1iucelph said:
I would try a Kahr CW380 or P380. The smooth longer trigger pull makes it very easy to shoot accurately IMHO. I haven't shot the LCP but I bought my wife a bodyguard 380 before the Kahr. The bodyguard was a piece of garbage, trigger pull in the 12-15 pound range.

THIS times 100!!!! My kahr is smooth and accurate

Shot and carried the P238 for awhile and really liked it for both reliability and accuracy. Decided to go one step further and traded the P238 for a P938. The 938 feels the same in your hand as the 238 but gives the advantage of being in 9MM. Accuracy is excellent and it really likes the Speer short barrel 124 grain gold dot ammo. Both guns feel very comfortable while shooting and recoil is handled nicely. I shot the LCP in 380 and came away very unsatisfied.

My wife wanted a "small" gun.
So I took her to the desert with a friend of mine and a varied assortment of noisemakers. Some were big. Some were small.
In the end, after firing everything multiple times, she came to appreciate the heft and size of a firearm and found that she liked the CZ 75B. Problem solved.
It was funny to listen to her explain to another woman that was wanting a small gun why she might want to rethink her decision.
I just led her to the water. She jumped in on her own. :grin:

I have ammo, carbide dies, cases and bullets for the .380 ACP which is a dangerous precedent for buying another one! I really did not like the BG.380 S&W and sold it. I did have a PPK/S years ago and liked it. The Sig 237 has good reviews and I have looked at the new Colt Mustang. For the money, I think that the Sig is a better buy?

Back