Tired Dogs

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
Well, just got home from a scouting hike of the Bell Mountain Wilderness area in Missouri. I put in what I am guessing was about 8 miles and saw a grand total of zero deer prints, rubs, scrapes, or droppings. I can't imagine a place like that doesn't have deer, but they seem to be some sort of new highly trained ninja deer; able to vanish without a trace. Of course, it might have been all the people, I saw something like 22 on the trails, but I would have expected to see something.

Guess that's off the list for this year. On the bright side, a long hike in the woods with no phone service does a lot to counter the disappointment, and I'd rather find out now than next month.

My son and I have been hunting most of the past four days - mostly half-day hunts.

We've seen a few mule deer, in what is normally very good mule deer country. Haven't taken a shot. It's the last day he's able to go this season.

On the plus side, we saw some beautiful country and a lot of other wildlife. Just today we watched a pair of bighorn rams from about a hundred yards.

But mule deer bucks? Almost none. They went stealth-ninja for sure! :mrgreen:

Well there was a fat mule deer buck, a good 3x3, in the orchard about 50 yards from public land.

Guy

So, yesterday evening, just about supper time, I look out the window and what do I see? Not one or two, or even three or four, but not less than 8 deer milling about the backyard. A nice buck and his girls. I took an off the cuff shot from the back deck - missed, of course - but recovered the arrow. Felt good to shoot, even with a miss.

Back