transition from Sierra to Nosler

marneman

Beginner
Aug 27, 2006
If I am going to try out some Nosler Competition Bullets for my military rifles, I am assuming I can just swap out the Sierra for Nosler. This is mainly for use in Garands and 03 Springfields. Have you had any experience in these regards? thanks, Marneman.

I shoot 'em from bolt guns, but after eyeballing the Noslers in both 168 and 155 grain versions... I just swapped from Sierra to Nosler.

Maybe I should have worked up my loads again, but I didn't bother. The new Nosler bullets shot to the same point of impact, at the same velocity, over the same powder charges - and the groups have been at least as tight...

I really didn't see any need to do anything except swap bullets over the otherwise identical load - but it would probably be smarter to drop a couple of grains and start over.

Regards, Guy

I'm currently using the 168 grain Nosler J4 Competition on my Tactical rifle and I found the bullet to be very accurate. Here's a ten shot group fired at 100 yards. The load consist of 43.5 grain of BLC-2, Federal Gold Medal Brass, Federal 210 Match primer. COL 2.798. Velocity 2684 fps average.
IMGP1990.jpg

By the way watch for BLC-2 powder. It is very temperamental. I have to developed two different load using this powder. One for summer and one for winter. I cannot use my winter load for summer. They're just too hot.

Desert Fox & all, I made the switch to Nosler for my competition bullets when Gary Rasmussen won the 1000 yard match at Camp Perry a few years ago, shooting them. I think it was in 2001? Not sure. At any rate, Gary is a Washington State shooter, and a fine all around guy. He's been a member of the US Palma team for quite a while. When he recommended Noslers, I listened, since he always outshoots me anyway...

Regards, Guy

I recently switched to the 155 Nosler for competition shooting from the Sierra Palma bullet.

Actually, I shot in the BC Championships this August and Mr. Rasmussen was there. We chatted about the bullets and both agreed that they are at least equal to the Sierra in most rifles -- certainly in mine.

According to Mr. Rasmussen, the Nosler bullet is very forgiving of seating depth. I'm willing to accept this, but I've only ever tried one depth in my rifle, and that was .015 off the lands. This required seating to a slightly different overall length than the Sierra bullet.

I found that it basically performed identically to the Sierra, in terms of powder charges. In my rifle, I found 46.5 grains of Varget gave excellent results and 47.0 seemed even better. I settled on 47.0 grains.

I've found that the Nosler bullet is considerably cheaper than the Sierra. Where I live, it is something like 2/3 of the price of the Sierra. That is a huge saving, and I am on a budget (I have a young family). I am saving up to shoot in the Palma next year, and I plan to use this rifle and load.

Back