Tubb Dust

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I’ve been trying Tubb Dust in a Remington 7mm Rem Mag that Is accurate as all get out but moderately copper fouls. Using 65.4 grains of IMR 4831, 140 grain Ballistic Tips and the directed amount of Tubb Dust (10 grains per lb of powder), copper fouling seems non existent.

I just finished firing 50 rounds. I allowed the barrel to cool between each shot as I normally do. I don’t let my barrels Get hot especially with my 7mm RM’s. I had no blue patches cleaning with Sweets afterwards. Within 6-7 patches they came out white. Dried the bore and found no copper upon inspection with my bore scope. Mr Tubb looks to be dead on with his claims about how well it works. Groups stayed consistent start to finish. I didn’t chrono them but he says there’s no change in burn rate when using it.

I’m going to try it in some of my other rifles of various calibers to see if it gives the same results.

Huh, interesting! He's a thinker.

Years ago I used his Final Finish bullets in a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero that was accurate but had problems with fouling from bullet jackets. Those Tubbs bullets did the trick, and really reduced fouling.

I hadn't heard of the Tubb Dust until now. Thanks!

Guy

Each container will take care of 30-33 lbs of powder. It adds roughly $1.33 to the cost of each pound. It’s certainly a small test but it worked this time. It copper fouled without it and didn’t with it. I’m not saying it will help all barrels but it’s something worth looking at. It’s probably bismuth, tin, or both.

Can you guys tell I’m bored with everything kind of on hold because of COVID? :lol:

I have been using it for 6 months now in us 869, h1000, Retumbo 7828& h4831. Seems like h1000 is the best , sure helps cleanup quickly.

Yah I just got done reading a few articles on it. Definitely seems worthwhile! I hate cleaning barrels, matter of fact I only clean once I noticeably see accuracy fall off, which is usually a hundred or couple hundred rounds...

Read up on that maybe close to a yr ago, don't know time gets lost sometimes. Had a gun that fouled pretty badly and from the info I could find and the reviews, this seemed like a good product.

In the end I used Tubbs final finish....between that and using Bore Tech cleaner, the copper fouling problem was greatly improved and I never went this route, but Tubb's products seem to work. I've no doubt it does as advertised and gets the results JoeC posted.

I think, but don't hold me to this, it is the addition of tin to the mixture which reduces or eliminates copper. I am not scientist, but I believe that is what the additional ingredient is that reduces the copper. It is pretty danged interesting and like Guy, I have used a bit of of the Tubbs Final Finish bullets to great satisfaction.

Guy may know more about this, but I believe they used to use a Tin disc in 155mm rounds to get rid or reduce fouling in the big guns, the disc sat on top of the powder charge and cleaned up the tubes after each shot, on their own.

Back