Tubb’s FinalFinish

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Today I got around trying them on my CVA 35 Whelen. The rifle shot 225gr BTs great but 250gr bullets not so well. The bore was rough and coppered up fast. So I cleaned the bore down to bare metal. I did 5 of each grit instead of 10. Cleaned in between each. By the 3rd set I could tell the patches were passing through easier. After the 5th the bore was way smoother.
When spring rolls around I’ll give the 250’s another go around. Hopefully my 225 BTs still shoot well.

Probably twenty years or so ago I used the Final Finish bullets (new at the time) on a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. It had always been accurate, but goodness it fouled quickly!

After the FF treatment, it was maybe a tad more accurate... But the fouling decreased tremendously and cleaning was much easier. Plus, the accuracy lasted longer.

It was an easy fix to a nagging problem.

Guy

I used it earlier this year on a used Mark in 300 Weatherby. I got it to shoot "OK" but the barrel looked horrible on borescope (pits in the stainless), and the throat was even worse.

I used all 10 of each grit as this was a last-ditch effort else a rebarrel. The rifle went from shooting a 3 inch group at 200 yards down to 1 1/4 inches at 200 yards, and I can live with that for now. I used it on my rifle bull elk hunt this year, and it worked well.

Always been skeptical of sending lapping compound down the bore at high pressure. The results seem to speak for themselves in this post however. Thanks for the reports.

Always been skeptical of sending lapping compound down the bore at high pressure. The results seem to speak for themselves in this post however. Thanks for the reports.
I figured that <$100 for the bullets, powder and primers vs >$1000 for a new barrel (with installation, Cerakoting, etc etc) it was worth the risk.
It worked well enough that I've considered it for another rifle.
The one I used it on will never be a high volume shooter, so if I get a couple of hundreds rounds out of it in the next many years I'm OK with that.

The CVA coppered up bad fast. The Nosler BTs didn’t mind it one bit. My goal is to reduce copper fouling and get some 250gr to shot better.
I have several other barrels I like to iron out.
I also going to try their Throat Maintenance System bullets in my 30-378 and 6mm Creed. Both have some fire cracking that those are supposed to smoothen out.

Back