Tuning an AR-15

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok so I'm fairly inexperienced with working on this platform. I'm an experienced "user" but we aren't allowed to do anything past basic maintenance on our work guns.

So I built my first personal AR to gain some more understanding. That being said here is a quick rundown on major components used:
Anderson lower and upper

Geissele SSA-E Trigger

Faxon 18" flame fluted barrel rifle length gas 1:8 twist

Fail zero M16 Nickel boron coated BCG

ATI mil spec buffer tube assembly

I was having issues with short stroking where it would eject the spent round but not pick up the next round and would not lock back on an empty magazine. Replaced the buffer with a very slightly lighter buffer weighing 2.8oz. That helped a little but more often than not had the same issue. Was thinking I would have to either get a lighter buffer spring or open up the gas port hole.

Anyway that was all using factory 55gr FMJ practice ammo. Yesterday I shot some hand loads using 68gr bthp and had zero issues with it cycling properly with the hand loads and would lock back on an empty magazine. Still won't cycle the lighter bullets. My question is it just a matter of dwell time being increased by the slower velocity of a heavier bullet or an increase in pressure from hand load vs factory? It was not a max load by any means.

I'm planning on shooting heavier bullets in this one, likely the 73gr eld-m, so do I just not worry about it or should I adjust something so that it will cycle all ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and on a side note I have a baby beast muzzle brake on it from Nathan and I think my 22lr has more recoil. Literally sights don't come off target and fast and accurate follow up shots are stupid easy!

Do you have an adjustable gas block? That's the issue, it's under gased.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

waveslayer":3nr9wsh7 said:
Do you have an adjustable gas block? That's the issue, it's under gased.

I don't, it's just a standard gas block. The buffer spring that came with the tube seems really stiff to me so I think I'm going to just order a reduced power spring and see if that solves the problem. I just thought it was interesting that it cycled heavier bullets with no issues.

Heavier bullets can take more pressure to get moving, hence why thwy cycled fine

Get an adjustable gas block so you can tune it. Ideally the brass should eject at 3:00 but anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00 is acceptable.

JD338

Back