Turkey fan preservation

I've only done a few, but it was pretty easy. I took a piece of plywood and added some small nails strategically placed to hold the fan open. Coat the meaty base of the tail with borax, position it on the plywood, and let it sit. Every day or two, take it off the board, flip it over, and replace the borax. After a week or so, the meat will be thoroughly dried. Trim off what you don't need, and you're done.

I've only done a few, but it was pretty easy. I took a piece of plywood and added some small nails strategically placed to hold the fan open. Coat the meaty base of the tail with borax, position it on the plywood, and let it sit. Every day or two, take it off the board, flip it over, and replace the borax. After a week or so, the meat will be thoroughly dried. Trim off what you don't need, and you're done.
That’s the way I’ve always done it, but used cardboard and push pins. Throw on some 20 mule team borax.

don't even keep them, my gosh I would have hundreds to keep clean , not enough wall space, tough enough displaying beards and spurs.

Just joshing you, man. Some have plenty of opportunity and experience in a given field, and you appear to be that man. I think it is great.

I will say this, as a result of my perceived challenge I have kept count of the turkeys I have harvested, this one yesterday taken at 7:05 was number 207
proYR2F.jpg

what else does a redneck do in mid april till mid may?

I will say this, as a result of my perceived challenge I have kept count of the turkeys I have harvested, this one yesterday taken at 7:05 was number 207
proYR2F.jpg

I should imagine that 'bout qualifies you are an expert! It sure as heck beats my "zero" turkeys! 🥴

This year , watch it snow🙁
I didn’t t think spring was ever going to spring, but once it did it jumped to 80* everyday I’m able to hit the woods. Miserable trying to hunt turkey and swat bugs at the same time.

proYR2F.jpg

I need to hunt in your spot. Can you send me the GPS coords? Thx. 😁

Shed Hunt! I actually mount turkeys and I don’t have one in my home-they do take up a lot of space and unless under glass, they are the devils own to keep clean. I’ve been working with a guy who is killing one or two in each-and every state. We use plaque shaped like the state he killed them in with beards and spurs to display. They are commercial made and very classy. He is about halfway finished-

Back