Unicorn Rifle

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Found a unicorn rifle and sent deposit for it this evening...
A Steyr Mannlicher - M, left hand full stocked rifle!
270 Win with butterknife bolt handle, single trigger, with detachable magazine, and open sights, weighing 6 3/4 lbs.
Have found old ads for these on various auction sites from years past, in either 270 Win or 30-06.

Have found the odd information showing that these rifles were also chambered in 25-06, 7 x 64, and 280 Rem...but have only seen pics of these in right hand...

Anyone owned, seen, handled or shot one? Or a right handed one?

If it is as smooth cycling, handy, and nice to shoot as my wife's Mountain Classic in 7mm-08, it should be a great rifle to own!

Oh man, I could run one in .280...
Yes, the 280 would be my dream chambering in this rifle, but I haven't even seen a pic of one as yet.
Or a 6.5x55...although that I have found no evidence that they chambered this rifle for this cartridge.

Steyr does currently build the CL II LH...just haven't found or seen as yet if they make it with the full stock. A store here in Canada does have a RH CL II FS in 6.5x55 on consignment. Beautiful rifle! No idea if the the barrels are interchangeable...

I once had a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenaur. Some low life broke into my truck in Elko Nevada back in 1975. I never could find another that was as nice. I wouldn't mind finding one chambered to the 7x57 Mauser round with the proper double set triggers. These days people selling them think they're made of solid platinum or unobtainium.
Paul B.

A departed friend had one, a right hand 270 that he bragged on. They are nice. Enjoy. Dan.

Well I found another unicorn!
The Steyr Model M Full stocked rifle in 6.5x55...in Left Hand...with really pretty wood! Have made the deal and it will shipped shortly! And the rings are QD. It doesn't come with the scope pictured, but I have Kahles 3-9x42 TDS that will be mounted on it when it arrives.

LH Steyr Model M FS 6.5x55.jpeg

And I have realized that I never put the pic of the 270 on here, so here it is:
LH Steyr Model M FS 270 Win.jpeg.jpg
not be lucky enough to win the lottery...but I have been very fortunate in finding these unicorns!

Beautiful rifles Gil, congratulations on your good fortune.

JD338

It is a very gratifying feeling of accomplishment when you get one you’ve been searching for. I was lucky enough to also enjoy that feeling last month.

Very nice. I know how you feel when you find a rile that you have wanted for some time. Enjoy. Dan.

Back