Upgrade.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Starting to get a fair amount of good guns, or at least what I'd call good guns, so I'm at the point I can start peeling off some of the lesser guns.

Bought this JC Higgins M50 in 30-06 about a yr ago for $275. Never did anything with it and have plenty of 30-06's. Sold it for $425.

Bought this 98 Mauser in 22-250 as it sits scoped up several yrs back for $250. Bedded it and had my fun shooting it and shot some good targets with it. Been sitting for the last 2 yrs. Sold it for $425.

Couple days ago I was in a shop and they had a NIB Browning BLR in 358 Winchester. Cash price with no CC fees they let it go for $879. Thought that was a really good price based on what I've seen them going for. Tax and transfer out the door I was out $938.

So out of pocket I'm into this new BLR 358 for $613. It's back in the box and don't know when I'll get to it, but at that kind of figures I thought it was wise to bring it home.

Where were you when I was building my armory? Hiring you to do my buying and selling would have saved me a fortune!:cry:

Where were you when I was building my armory? Hiring you to do my buying and selling would have saved me a fortune!:cry:

Ha! That might not of worked out. I'd of probably been telling you that you needed every new gun that came down the pike. You can't go wrong says I. :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, I heard a man make a statement a long time ago regarding these types of things, that stuck with me for whatever reason. He said you don't make money when you sell, you make your money when you're buying.

Holds true. Buy good guns at a good price, or fair guns, cheap. And the rest takes care of itself. I bought a Savage Axis in 308 couple yrs back for $175. Never shot it and traded it for a 98 Mauser in 30-06 plus gave $10 boot money. Don't know what that 30-06 will bring, but it will be a lot more than $185. That's a good gun but is another one I'll be peeling off here probably this yr.

I have always had the buy/sell thing ass backwards.
:ROFLMAO: Sorry, not making fun but your wording made me laugh. It's not about making money anyways; I buy and shoot guns because I really like doing it. But on the other side of the coin most of what I now have is because I worked at making good purchases, so there is that. It's not as much fun as shooting them, but finding good deals is certainly part of the fun for me.

I'll be honest, had I been on the prowl for this gun, I'd of been looking to purchase a pistol grip instead. But sometimes you gotta take the deal that's in front of you. It's a gun I can keep or sell if someone wants it bad enough..........the guns that really trip my trigger are the ones you can't just typically buy. or they got the old time cool factor going for them. This gun made a lot of sense financially, but it's not one of those guns for me.

You might keep one of those and rebore to 338-06 since you got a 35 Whelen done. Just a thought. Dan.

You might keep one of those and rebore to 338-06 since you got a 35 Whelen done. Just a thought. Dan.
I could, but I still got plenty besides that M98 if I sell it. I'll for sure keep my M70 and my Sauer, and I got that 7600 in 30-06 that I cleaned up. Around here if you're not desperate you can come up with a good candidate for such a project pretty easy. Not 2 wks ago I left a Sears M53 in 30-06 sit on the table for $350. That's a M70 that was sold by sears. Could've turned $200 on that one easy but if I'd of bought it I'd of been short on spending cash when I ran across this 358 so guess it's good I left it sit.

Ya me "bass-ackwards" on the cash flow model always. good thing I didn't know about that 22-250 or I'd been further under. CL

That BLR in 358 is a fine rifle that you will not want to let sit idle...take it out and shoot and hunt with it. You'll be glad you did!
If more people actually used theirs, there would be fewer for sale!
And you may find that the straight grip works great for you..if you like the ol' Winchester 94's, it will feel familiar to you.
I love mine with its straight grip!

That BLR in 358 is a fine rifle that you will not want to let sit idle...take it out and shoot and hunt with it. You'll be glad you did!
If more people actually used theirs, there would be fewer for sale!
And you may find that the straight grip works great for you..if you like the ol' Winchester 94's, it will feel familiar to you.
I love mine with its straight grip!

Yeah I'll get to it at some point, wont be able to let it sit forever. Will have to see what it will do. The pistol grip is purely aesthetics to me.......they are a little more appealing to my eye on these BLR's. Other than that I can't say, the straight grip might suit me better.

I have it in my head that if I'm gonna keep it long term, that I should maybe do something different with it I don't want to say I hate their high gloss finish, but I have a strong dislike for it. Maybe strip it off and give it a nice hand rubbed oil finish on the wood to make it my own. Don't know.

My BLR in 257 Roberts I will of course let the way it came from the factory. That one has some collector value as it is hard to get. This one I wouldn't mind doing something to try and make it more appealing and unique, at least for me.

Yeah I'll get to it at some point, wont be able to let it sit forever. Will have to see what it will do. The pistol grip is purely aesthetics to me.......they are a little more appealing to my eye on these BLR's. Other than that I can't say, the straight grip might suit me better.

I have it in my head that if I'm gonna keep it long term, that I should maybe do something different with it I don't want to say I hate their high gloss finish, but I have a strong dislike for it. Maybe strip it off and give it a nice hand rubbed oil finish on the wood to make it my own. Don't know.

My BLR in 257 Roberts I will of course let the way it came from the factory. That one has some collector value as it is hard to get. This one I wouldn't mind doing something to try and make it more appealing and unique, at least for me.
If you don't want to totally strip the finish buff it back. I took 0000 steel wool with Birchwood Casey's stock finish buffer and gently rubbed the gloss finish on my Rem 700 30-06 just enough to reduce the shine some. You could determine how far you want to take it. This way there is finish still sealing the stock. Worked for me. Picture of it I posted during deer season last fall. Dan.

I’ve got the pistol grip version, but as Gil said, fire that sucker up. You might just be happier than a lark with it. They’re great shooting rifles.

Back