Visited a 600 yard IBS match this weekend

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
I got an invitation from an old friend to see him shoot in a 600 yard international bench rest shooters competition a couple weeks ago, So I drove down to see how that works and see Mom for mothers day. Cool thing is, that the facility where it was held has been built just mile and a half from where I spent my "growing up years". It also has a great looking sporting clays course- although I didn't have time for that. Held at Hunters pointe just west of Sioux Falls.

Any way this BR stuff is interesting. What an equiptment intensive part of our sport. Interesting to learn that this match was held as a timed event with a 4 minute "sighter" period followed by 8 minutes for "scoring" shots. (I think) Interesting to watch the processes and preparation, adjustment, reading the wind and shooting. My friend shoots 22 Dasher, and 6.5 BR I think in the light gun class. Watched him swap barrels (and caliber) between matches. AS he said its easier than cleaning.

Wasn't able to get a picture of his rifle, However, here's one, these guys shoot some sexy stuff:

Looking over my friends shoulder- 600yds is a long ways away-

That grey line just under the top of the hill way out there is the targets.

Nice facility- probably 15-20 benches

Don't know If its something I will pursue. Im Certainly not as serious about my reloading as these guys. And then there's the money. However, very cool to see, and enjoyable. As with most folks in the shooting sports - good bunch of people. Thanks Kevin.

Even shooting casually can make for a better shot, Troy. Neat pictures. Thanks for posting.

Nice its a great facility. The Hardware does look expensive, but probably not any more than 5 or 6 out of state elk tags every year!!!

I joined a club a month ago that is very similar. It is definitely humbling when you sit down with your hunting rifle and sand bags next to a guy that's prolly got 6k in his rig, and he asks you what your shooting!
I asked what equipment it would take to get competitive and was told a used rifle could be purchased for about $1800 then you'd want a scope above 20 power, and about $200-500 in a good rest. Luckily for me they have a stock hunting rifle competition.
I also was blown away by people taking barrels on and off the actions right there. There were also guys measuring charges and using single stage presses 10 ft behind where they were shooting.

And I saw the title of this thread, IBS, and thought it had something to do with irritable bowel syndrome. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Nice pics Troy! 600 yards is only mid-range...1000 yards is where it starts to get tricky with the wind. :shock: Judging by the wind flag it looks like a fairly mild (for South Dakota) 9 o'clock wind.

There is at least $5K sitting on the table in the first pic:
Farley front rest - $1200
Gator rear bag - $140
NF scope - $1400
Barrel - $350
Action - $1300
Kebley MBR stock - $1000

Add the gunsmithing costs to it and you have an idea of what a competitive rig will cost. One of my F-class rifles is set up with this stock. Weighs 21.7 lbs. His would need to be around 18 lbs if he is shooting light rifle competition.

That looks like fun. When I get dies and a load for my 280 Ackley I want to try and do one of those metallic silhouette shoots with the steel targets from 100 - 500 meters. That looks like a lot of fun as well.

257 Ackley":2fzfjkxo said:
Nice pics Troy! 600 yards is only mid-range...1000 yards is where it starts to get tricky with the wind. :shock: Judging by the wind flag it looks like a fairly mild (for South Dakota) 9 o'clock wind.

There is at least $5K sitting on the table in the first pic:
Farley front rest - $1200
Gator rear bag - $140
NF scope - $1400
Barrel - $350
Action - $1300
Kebley MBR stock - $1000

Add the gunsmithing costs to it and you have an idea of what a competitive rig will cost. One of my F-class rifles is set up with this stock. Weighs 21.7 lbs. His would need to be around 18 lbs if he is shooting light rifle competition.

Hi- Thought I might even see you there.... :) Yup the sport requires an investment if you want to be competitive I'm told. The wind was fickle.....Middle that round, literally, the flags went limp. Saw several targets with 4-6+inch groups. Don't know what the winner shot. Think it would be educational to sit down with my 250 and shoot at those distances. I haven't had a cance to "bust rocks" in the back pasture in 20+ years. I do miss that :) CL

Was really fun to see and get an idea of the process.

Vince":2ac3h0ju said:
And I saw the title of this thread, IBS, and thought it had something to do with irritable bowel syndrome. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Uh Huh- Fortunately this is different :grin: CL

Back