VX-7 3.5-14 x 50 LR with B & C reticle....

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Does any of you Folks have hands-on experience with this scope ?

I like the idea of adjustable turrets not being in the way when hunting (like the M1 would, I guess...) and also having a lateral parallax adjustment knob.

I have a VX-3 3.5-10 x 40 and I am quite happy with it.

Is the VX-7 so much better ? ...comparing prices, it outta be :wink:

Thanks
:grin:

Bluejay,

I put the 2.5 - 10 x 45 on my new 300 WSM this year. So far, I'm exceptionally pleased with the scope. It is bright and clear. I compare it favourably with my Kahles, Zeiss and Swarovski scopes. I believe the extra cost is justified.

Anyone who can state the differences with the lower priced VX-3 ?

:mrgreen:

I would call Leupold. As i stated in a previous post, I will not use their products anymore, but their customer service should be able to answer all of your questions. For scopes, I am sticking with Ziess and Swaro's.
Hardpan

Go to http://leupold.com/ and bring up each of the scopes in question to find the answer. Difference in coatings, difference in tube size. Do you get more scope for the money? Yes. Is it worth it for what you want? Only you can answer that question.

Dr Mike is exactly right.

From my reading:
on the good side:
# Low-profile SpeeDial™ adjustments smoothly slide up and open for adjustment.
# The finger-adjustable ¼-MOA click adjustments are easy to zero.
# A more generous eyebox than you’ll find even in premium European optics.
# The SpeeDial side focus parallax adjustment allows you to focus parallax from any shooting position.
# The XT Duplex™ reticle is a VX-7 exclusive, with unobstructed aiming at small targets at long distance, and fast, accurate target acquisition of large game at close range.
# Available with the Leupold® Ballistics Aiming System™ for more accurate long-range shooting, including the Boone and Crockett® Big Game and Varmint Hunter’s reticles.

On the BS side:
Lead-free glass lenses offer the excellent optical properties such a precision instrument deserves, with greatly reduced weight. They are produced without the hazardous environmental byproducts common to standard glass production.

Lead free glass is just not nearly as good as leaded glass. top end crystal is leaded, high end projectors for both TV and stage use lead glass... Lead free is cheaper and poorer quality at passing light in various temperatures. It has a large amount of stress-induced birefringence. What that means is that the glass does not retain its true transparent qualities as the temperature changes. So, as light passes through the glass, some of the light is refracted causing loss of light and possible distortion. You would see that more in either cold or hot. And the glass is more prone to breaking, but since Leupold has a lifetime warranty, you may get away with that. Bottom line, there are scopes with much better glass.

As far as their coatings go, without lab tests, it is pretty hard to tell how good they really are. But, this industry does not publish this kind of data.

Bottom line, only you can determine if the scope is worth the dollars.

Back