Washer fill level

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Ok, WAY off topic here, but we have a newer high efficiency top load washer with an infuser plate rather than an agitator, it's always been a little stingy with water, but I opened the lid and the water level is well below the height of the clothes. I tried with the "Deep Fill" on, which is supposed to add 3 gallons, but that seemed to fill less..It starts and goes through all the cycles just like it should, but there's hardly any water...I know these use a lot less water, but I don't remember it being this low before. I'm thinking, since it runs the cycles, it's some sort of water level sensor, float, or whatever these things have nowadays. All the experts say "door switch/lock" but we've replaced that before, and when its bad it won't run the cycles.

Maybe check the owners manual to see where the water level should be. Could be a water level sensor that's gummed up from soap and fabric softeners. How old is the machine? Might be time to start shopping for a new one.

JD338

Maybe check the owners manual to see where the water level should be. Could be a water level sensor that's gummed up from soap and fabric softeners. How old is the machine? Might be time to start shopping for a new one.

JD338
Its way low, the clothes used to "swish" back and forth while it was washing, now they just sit there while it "washes". in a few inches of water. It's only 3 years old. I thought water inlet screens, but it has good pressure when it fills. The drain pump stopped working when we first got it, and it had two "scrunchies" stuck in it..

Last edited:
Well, this machine doesn't have a stand-alone fill switch/sensor. It's embedded in the main computer control board, so the whole brain will have to be replaced. At least it's only 2 screws to pop the top off the machine, and the board looks simple to swap out.

I know you're talking clothes washer , but could you have a kinked hose ?

my sons dish washer had a water fill problem . it flowed water on a timer . it turned on the water , after X seconds it shut the water off . he bought the part that controls the water flow ( timer ? ) same problem . I looked at it with him one day . his problem was the water feed hose got kinked behind the dishwasher , restricting the flow .

I know you're talking clothes washer , but could you have a kinked hose ?

my sons dish washer had a water fill problem . it flowed water on a timer . it turned on the water , after X seconds it shut the water off . he bought the part that controls the water flow ( timer ? ) same problem . I looked at it with him one day . his problem was the water feed hose got kinked behind the dishwasher , restricting the flow .
I checked all the hoses and everything. These have a clear tube that runs down to the tub and up to a sensor on the panel, somehow as it fills pressures change in the tube and the sensor opens or closes the flow valve. I found a guaranteed used control board on eBay for $25 that i ordered, if that solves it, I’ll go ahead and order a new one. I figure $25 for the board is cheaper than a service call. Plus I can put it up for a spare if it goes again

I haven't had any experience with a top load water saver. Front load yes and what a waste of money these water saving washers are! Can't clean a work clothes for nada! It cost more in electricity than it's worth! Wish I could help!

Ok, WAY off topic here, but we have a newer high efficiency top load washer with an infuser plate rather than an agitator, it's always been a little stingy with water, but I opened the lid and the water level is well below the height of the clothes. I tried with the "Deep Fill" on, which is supposed to add 3 gallons, but that seemed to fill less..It starts and goes through all the cycles just like it should, but there's hardly any water...I know these use a lot less water, but I don't remember it being this low before. I'm thinking, since it runs the cycles, it's some sort of water level sensor, float, or whatever these things have nowadays. All the experts say "door switch/lock" but we've replaced that before, and when its bad it won't run the cycles.
I had a front loader that agitates by gravity. The machine worked great, but my wife wanted a top loader. I bit the bullet and bought a high-end Samsung top loader that does not have a central agitator. What a mistake. The machine uses so little water that the clothes on top remain dry for a good part of the cleaning cycle. The base plate/agitator is useless and barely rotates the clothes through the water. I used the "extra fill" feature and it slightly improves the situation. Basically, the machine is a way over-priced piece of crap. Clothes do NOT come out as clean as they should. And if that's not bad enough, the run time is stupid long. When you start the machine it does many calculations as it tries to determine the load parameters, then it runs forever.

A call to Samsung was a waste of time. I told my wife that I'd rather give the (new) machine away and just buy another washer but she doesn't want to waste the money. Sometimes "NEW" is not better.

Samsung and LG kitchen appliances have a lot of cool features BUT they lack the durability for long life. In refrigerators for example, they use a sub par compressor and won't stand behind it. They offer a 1 year warranty.
My mother found this out the hard way and lost with a LG door in a door refrigerator.She listened to a grandson who liked the tap the glass and turn on a light in the fridge feature. $4000 bucks later....
Compressor has a 1 yr warranty and it was about 14 months old.
Stick with the GE, Whirlpool/KitchenAid, Frigidaire brands and get a more robust unit. I called on Whirlpool for many years in my career and USA engineering will yield longer life appliances.
IMHO, Samsung, LG and similar companies should stick to TV's.
YMMV...

JD338

Samsung and LG kitchen appliances have a lot of cool features BUT they lack the durability for long life. In refrigerators for example, they use a sub par compressor and won't stand behind it. They offer a 1 year warranty.
My mother found this out the hard way and lost with a LG door in a door refrigerator.She listened to a grandson who liked the tap the glass and turn on a light in the fridge feature. $4000 bucks later....
Compressor has a 1 yr warranty and it was about 14 months old.
Stick with the GE, Whirlpool/KitchenAid, Frigidaire brands and get a more robust unit. I called on Whirlpool for many years in my career and USA engineering will yield longer life appliances.
IMHO, Samsung, LG and similar companies should stick to TV's.
YMMV...

JD338

my son's going through this right now with his refrigerator compressor . it has the kenmore name on it , but it's an LG I think . it's a nice fridge , double door , bottom freezer , water and ice in the door , black stainless steel . they have been fighting him for months , and it's under warranty .

My mom bought the two year extended warranty from the appliance store. After I spoke with a manager, he exchanged the LG refrigerator with a new one. It arrived scratched up. I torqued the managers and my mom exchanged it for a GE.
Hope your son can find a resolution.

JD338

I talked with my son last night . what I said above is correct . when he calls LG , he's told it's a kenmore product to call Kenmore. when he calls Kenmore he is told that it's LG built with the Kenmore name and to call LG . this has been going on for months . he slid this huge fridge off to the side and got a normal size fridge in the kitchen to use .

Back