Washington DC

Worked in DC for three years...

Hope I never have to go back.

Good luck with whatever your mission is.

Guy

There are some incredible museums and monuments. It's after "Parade Season" but if you can, check out the old Marine Barracks, 8th & I.

It's been there a couple of hundred years and is in constant use even today. Amazing chunk of Americana. :)

Not sure if they'd allow a tour or not, it's been nearly 40 years since I served there.

Regards, Guy

We have to drive to get anywhere. Boise generally has the best connections, three hour drive. Sometimes we'll fly out of WallaWalla, two hour drive on a good day, but the flights out of there get screwed up quite often. Parking is free! Portland is five hours and I hate Portland.
The drive from home to Boise is a nice drive except the freeway is often closed for severe winter weather. Most often closed freeway in the country. We actually carry survival gear in the vehicle. Needed it a few times

We have to drive to get anywhere. Boise generally has the best connections, three hour drive. Sometimes we'll fly out of WallaWalla, two hour drive on a good day, but the flights out of there get screwed up quite often. Parking is free! Portland is five hours and I hate Portland.
The drive from home to Boise is a nice drive except the freeway is often closed for severe winter weather. Most often closed freeway in the country. We actually carry survival gear in the vehicle. Needed it a few times
The way it's looking you might get to experience a hurricane since it looks to come up through the south from Florida. The outer edge is predicted to reach here on Friday.

My dad took me to DC when I was a kid visiting Arlington and the monuments. My kids went on school trips there. Thought I'd like to take my grandkids but anymore I don't know. I really don't know. Dan.

Washington DC was and is kind of overwhelming. The history that has occurred here, mostly on the backs of dead men is simply phenomenal.
I was absolutely stunned by Arlington, we spent 5 hours there. The White House was interesting but not sure I need another tour.
We walked from the capitol to Arlington today, then five hours in Arlington, Marine IWO Jima memorial. subway home from there. Tomorrow is the Vietnam memorial. That'll be tough. Couple of friends and my cousins are there.

Attachments

• 93FA5824-0408-4EC6-B1B0-CD8C241AE4FC.jpeg
    93FA5824-0408-4EC6-B1B0-CD8C241AE4FC.jpeg
    826.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 51535BCE-0D18-41DD-90AF-4DBFB8B375B3.jpeg
    51535BCE-0D18-41DD-90AF-4DBFB8B375B3.jpeg
    716.6 KB · Views: 4
My dad took me to DC when I was a kid visiting Arlington and the monuments. My kids went on school trips there. Thought I'd like to take my grandkids but anymore I don't know. I really don't know. Dan.
Is it legal to carry concealed in DC yet?

Wasn't when I was stationed there, but I decided I'd take my chances with the law as an active duty Marine officer. There was a provision in DC law for military and police at that time. I don't recall the exact wording, but it sounded good enough to me. Had a 45 1911 or a 357 magnum revolver with me every day. Long commute. Bad neighborhood. Used to shoot with a few law enforcement and military guys at some of the bases there. Fort Meade for outdoor shooting.

Had a cop talk to me, he started out sternly, at the Bolling AFB indoor range, about transporting my 45 1911 from the Marine Barracks in DC to the indoor range on Bolling AFB . He'd seen me on my motorcycle, coming from DC to Bolling, which is in Maryland. I was a captain in the Marine Corps at the time and stationed at the barracks. The 1911 was my duty weapon. I asked him if he was serious about arresting a military officer, on a military base, for training with my 45 1911...

He thought about that a bit. The absurdity of it kind of dawned on him. Then we shot together. Him with 38's from his 357 mag duty gun, me with 45's from my 1911. And parted with a friendly handshake.

Lots of memories, good and bad about Washington DC. So many secrets are buried there...

But yes, the museums and memorials are OUTSTANDING and well worth seeing.

Regards, Guy

I received an invitation to pastor in DC. I declined because my wife was adamant that she wouldn't move that far from her grandchildren. I was in the district a couple of times when I trained at Quantico. It was during the Johnson Administration. Then, we made the trip to the memorials when we went back to VA for my middle daughter's graduation from university. Visiting the Wall was gut wrenching for me as I knew some of the names etched there.

Drove around 495 east side going north yesterday, drove around 495 west side coming back south today...

I hope to get off the east coast tomorrow and head for the midwest somewhere, before the storm comes up the coast.

We're going to take advantage of today, see what the weather brings.
Roger, I'll give you a call this evening.

We're going to take advantage of today, see what the weather brings.
Roger, I'll give you a call this evening.
Looks like it might just be a rainy day on Friday form the looks of the forecast this morning. I don't think the national weather bureau real knows what it will do when it comes to small storms and then again it misses on the big ones also. We have a saying here where if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change.
Looking forward to talking with you.

Is it legal to carry concealed in DC yet?
A qualified yes. I won't try to play forum-lawyer and explain it all, but there is training, a law course (best way I can describe it) and (this was true) you need to register your arm with the city. Of course, I think a few of the provisions have been struck down (like the ammo carry limit), so my information is not only old, but may be flawed. As far as I know they do not recognize anyone else's permits.

Salmon -

2 Items:

1 I would not risk anything in DC without doing a lot of research first. Regardless of how any of us might feel, it isn't worth it.
2 Be very careful of the Metro card stations, I've had my credit card info stolen twice by by someone using one of those data strip devices on them. Just make sure everything looks right before sticking your plastic into one.

Back