Well picked up another 35 whelen

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I have a Remington 760 that was rechamber by a previous owner from 35 rem to whelen. I have taken 2 elk, 2 bears, dozen deer with it, so when I saw a rem 7600 in 35 whelen, with a nikon 3x9 scope, RCBS dies, 75 nosler 250 grn part. 65 225 ballistic tips, a box of Hornady 200 & 250 grn bullets, a box of speer 250 grn bullets, 175- 200 grn rem cl bulk bullets, a box of factory rem 250grn ammo, 3 boxes of reloads(I plan to dissemble) and 2 zip lock bags of brass all for $400.00 can't pass up a deal like that. and the gun looks barely used, blueing is not warn on any of the slide moving parts. The seller said he has only shot it 80 or 90 times. hope to get some pics posted this weekend.

Now that's a great buy! I bought a 7600 pump action in 35 Whelen the first year Remington brought out the cartridge only to trade it years later for a bolt gun in the same cartridge.

No- having to many whelens is like having a girlfriend that is 2 pretty :lol:

checked the barrel code- looks to be a 1992 gun- the yr I graduated High School

Very cool! I'd like to have one of those 7600's someday in a Whelen. Think it'd be a cool one to own. Should be real slick.

Can't wait to hear how it shoots, I know most of the 7600's shot pretty darned good. You got a great deal. I couldn't have passed that up either.

Where I'm from they would call that an Amish assault rifle!!! Slick looking rifle. I had a remington 750 at one time, if yours shoots or handles anything like that you should be very well served.

Just keep your loads conservative, the remington auto loaders and pumps can't handle as much pressure as a bolt gun. I ran mostly Speer 250s at 2400fps. There is very little that combo wouldn't handle nicely.

never had a problem in my converted 760- and it loved near max load of rl15 & blc2 w 250 grn. The lower loads never grouped as tight

I've seen a lot of broken and worn out 740-7400, and stuck cases in 760s, you might have a generouschamber in your convert.

The 7400 almost killed the 280 due to anemic loadings for their autos.

The pumps lack the mechanical advantage of a bolt both for closing and extracting. Small base dies and conservative loadings are recommended.

Don't worry 250s at 2400 kill just as well as 250s at 2500+

Ever chrony your loads?

tjen":3bgrvfkd said:
The 7600 is chambered in 270win and its pressures.

Many moons ago, Grice Wholesale in Pennsylvania had a special run of synthetic 7600's made in 280 and one is sitting in my safe. It shoots very well and likes 120 and 140 BTs. While this is a non-cataloged item, they are out there.

Ron

Back