Well who is spring bear hunting this year?

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
Well who is spring bear hunting this year? What gun ammo combo are you going with? Its been 4 yrs since I shot a bear so I have forgotten what a pain it is to deal with them. I will be hunting the same area that I shot my last spring bear. I plan to use my guide gun that hasn't killed anything yet. Now the decision to use fed 300 grn factory ammo(6 boxes came with the gun) my load pushing 405 rem at 1600fps, or 430 ranch dog gc cast bullet or 365 ranch dog cast bullet loads with 5744 powder. The shot will be under 50 yards and I have to anchor the animal so it doesn't run down hill to far. decisions decisions

I can't help much on the 45-70 loads, others have much more experience with the round, but it will certainly hammer a bear :)

I'm going to carry my 35 Whelen again this year with 200 gr Accubonds at 2840 fps. I may decide to use the 200 gr TTSX at the same speed or go old school with the 250 gr Speer at 2560 fps. Any of them will deliver the goods nicely. The 200 gr loads use IMR 8208 and the 250 gr Speer uses Big Game for powder.

I have taken 2 nice bears with my whelen and helped put another down. I use 250 grn partitions

I have taken a few bears mostly with various 225 gr bullets, I know you guys have seen this picture but here is the young boar I took with my wife last spring with the 200 gr AccuBond which works great.

I have no doubt that I'll be out looking for a spring bear, toting which ever rifle I happen to grab first.

My hunting buddy and I have been talking about bear hunting a lot lately because the weather has warmed up so much lately. I think we might get in to bait opening day this year (April 15). I was actually thinking about starting to pop popcorn today and stash it for the start of the season.

For a rifle I think I'll either shoot my .458 Lott, my .30-338 Norma Imp. with 208 Amax's or 230 Bergers, or my .338 Edge with 285 Amax's. Guys are getting 3100+fps out of the 338 Edge's with R-33 and 285 Amax's so I'm sure it would get the job done.

I'm looking forward to getting out come April 15th when our spring season opens. Not sure if I'll carry my 30-06 or the wifes 25-06. Maybe my Martin Hunter recurve bow. I think it would be fun to call one in. I keep trying so maybe it will be this year!

Pre 64 Model 70 with 130 grain Interbonds at 3,150 in .270 at around 40 yards. Shoulder/lung/heart shot at a downward angle then passed through so no recovery. It went downhill about 40 yards and lasted about 15-20 seconds. This was last fall.
Todd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,197
RR,

The Federal 45-70 300 gr Speed Hot Core is a pretty good bullet. MV is around 1850 fps
and will be a very good bear load. Good luck this spring.

JD338

Nice chocolate blackie Todd, the 130 gr Interbond obviously worked well. Quite a range in weapons listed so far, just shows if you put a good bullet or broadhead in the right spot the bear will be yours.

What kind of bullet do you have in those six boxes of factory 300 gr loads?

Some of the more common hollow point bullets do tend to expand very quickly, reducing their penetration. Others are excellent bullets.

Of the bullets you listed, I only have field experience with the 405 gr Remington, loaded to about 1650 fps mv. Took one large mule deer doe, shot through both shoulders at about 70 yards. She dropped instantly, and there was a hole that I could darned near see through, from one side to the other. It obviously had expanded well, and pushed right on through that doe. I was impressed.

I didn't even put in for a spring bear tag this year, knew I was going to be busy this spring, but I'll be back at it in August when our fall season opens! I'm having a blast using a .375 H&H and 260 gr Nosler Accubonds for bear here in Washington. My sons smile and call it "Dad's bear rifle."

Regards, Guy

Good Luck to all that are getting ready for spring bear. I might sit in the stand a few evenings myself this year as the population is getting as such the Moose calves are really taking a licking here in Saskatchewan.

Blessings,
Dan

gerry":qjbg1ih9 said:
Nice chocolate blackie Todd, the 130 gr Interbond obviously worked well. Quite a range in weapons listed so far, just shows if you put a good bullet or broadhead in the right spot the bear will be yours.

Thanks! It was my first bear, not a monster but had an awesome coat!

I drew a spring bear tag here in Washington. For spot and stalk I'll probably grab one of my .300 win mags. Although I'm really tempted to try out my new .257 weatherby mag. For calling I'll be using either my .450 bushmaster or my .338 marlin express.

sent from my typewriter

Headed to Idaho in May. Really want a color phase but wouldn't pass a big blackie. I'll be toting my M70 300 WSM shooting 180 Partitions. Haven't shot a bear with that gun/load yet but elk hate it.

Plagioclase":2p7o6dnz said:
Headed to Idaho in May. Really want a color phase but wouldn't pass a big blackie. I'll be toting my M70 300 WSM shooting 180 Partitions. Haven't shot a bear with that gun/load yet but elk hate it.

Welcome to the forum; glad to have you aboard. Bear hunting has to qualify as one of my favourite hunts--bar none. You have a rifle shooting an excellent cartridge in the 300WSM, and I do like my Model 70s. I would like to invite you to wander over to a thread in which we have opportunity to get to know new members.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22761

Introduce yourself and give us a chance to meet you. Tell us about your self--what you shoot, what your favourite hunts are, etc. Again, welcome aboard.

I won't be going for bear until mid-August when the Ontario season opens. Dad went alone last year and did well, so this year my son and I are joining him for a 3 generation hunt.

Odds are I'll have a 30-06 and my son is considering a 300 Weatherby - probably because he's never shot it. :shock: Else I'm partial to grabbing one of the 270s.

I have thought about using a 35 Rem, but there is a good chance at 200 yard shots from our stands, and you also have to pay for each rifle you import into Ontario. So, each of us will only take 1 rifle along.

We are in for sure. Hope to get something a little closer than 700 yards this year. Had to pass on that boar last year.

Back