What to do with 458 bullet

Butch

Beginner
Mar 12, 2023
I just got into reloading, and now I want to cast bullets. I just got a 45-70. 1.What is a good mold. 2. I see bullets bare and other blue lube filling in them what do I want to make.

Welcome to the forum.
What do you intend to use the bullet for, hunting, target or both?

JD338

I just got into reloading, and now I want to cast bullets. I just got a 45-70. 1.What is a good mold. 2. I see bullets bare and other blue lube filling in them what do I want to make.

I'd just buy some precast lead bullets to get started. Casting is a whole different ball of wax than reloading, and you'll need all new equipment to get started. However, if you're ready to jump in feet first, I'd ask about casting .458 bullets over on Marlinowners.com. There are a bunch of guys there that cast bullets for their 45-70 rifles.

I have bought from hear before. Casting your own will require a lot up front expense and sourcing lead is getting harder to do.
Huh - those are some good prices.

To the OP:

I concur that casting has a lot to it; I've started down that road (and stopped) before. I think it's a great idea to get into it, though I also agree that starting by buying some bullets it s good way to get familiar with loading. A classic for the 45-70 in cast is a 405 grain RNFP. A good starting resource on casting are Glen Fryxell's writings, I think you can find them at LASC. Also, I personally think the Lyman manual is a must.

Hope this helps.

Accurate Molds are the best I’ve found. My alloy mix gives me a 405 grain hardcast bullet with a BHN hardness of 25 without being brittle.
I cast them at .460 and size to .459 when adding the gas check.

They will group 1.25” at 100 yards when loaded over 42 grains of H4198, with a muzzle velocity of 1826 fps. 45 grains gives me 1960 fps. There still isn’t any pressure indications even at 45 grains,but it’s not fun to shoot. At all.

I lube with White Label Carnauba Red and get no leading in the 22” barrel of my 1895. This mold produces bullets that are within 1 grain of 405 grains. That’s hand cast bullets that weigh between 404 and 406 grains. I think that’s pretty darned precise for homemade.

4 lbs pure lead, 1 lbs linotype, and 1/2 oz of true silver solder.

. 9692B0FF-13DE-44EB-9DAC-358D84402325.jpeg077BFE97-4408-46F8-AAE0-2D7798D1EBB5.jpeg6B52B7D0-815F-4B85-AB2F-58BAFE90B9E4.jpeg1726C705-E6F8-4304-8CD0-CAEF0144AC4E.jpeg

Last edited:
It also doesn’t take the US Mint to get started. You can start with a dollar store single burner hot plate, a small cast iron pot, a ladle, cheap alox lube, your mold and lead. You can invest more as you get the feel for it and see if it’s something you like.

Get a .460” mold and you won’t even have to size the bullets. Make sure your bullets are 1-2 thousandths inch larger than the groove diameter of the barrel and they will shoot surprisingly well. Undersized bullets lead the barrel terribly.

Last edited:
Accurate Molds are the best I’ve found. My alloy mix gives me a 405 grain hardcast bullet with a BHN hardness of 25 without being brittle.
I cast them at .460 and size to .459 when adding the gas check.

They will group 1.25” at 100 yards when loaded over 42 grains of H4198, with a muzzle velocity of 1826 fps. 45 grains gives me 1960 fps. There still isn’t any pressure indications even at 45 grains,but it’s not fun to shoot. At all.

I lube with White Label Carnauba Red and get no leading in the 22” barrel of my 1895. This mold produces bullets that are within 1 grain of 405 grains. That’s hand cast bullets that weigh between 404 and 406 grains. I think that’s pretty darned precise for homemade.

4 lbs pure lead, 1 lbs linotype, and 1/2 oz of true silver solder.

. View attachment 19388View attachment 19389View attachment 19390View attachment 19391

That is a very nicely formed bullet you've got there. Better than most that I've bought from some of the biggest suppliers on the net.

Those are some nice looking bullets!
I guessing you would be hard pressed to stop one of those at 1900 fps.

JD338

Those are some nice looking bullets!
I guessing you would be hard pressed to stop one of those at 1900 fps.

JD338
Thanks Charlie, and JD. I appreciate the compliment. It’s the mold that makes them look that good, not me. Skimp if you must, on anything but the mold.
When I first started loading them I put one through a 10” Locust tree, which is rock hard. Then A few years ago I put one through a fat doe from stem to stern. I don’t think it slowed down. It entered her chest, went the full length of her body, broke the far side femur on the way out, and left a silver dollar size exit. It actually sat her down before she fell over. No bloodshot meat, but everything in the body cavity looked like it had been through a blender. It wasn’t soup but little pieces everywhere. That flat point works.
1825 fps is about all I care to endure on my end of the rifle. It’s still pretty fun to shoot at that level, but rattles my teeth a bit once it goes much north of 1900 fps. I’ve got 53 rounds left out of the last batch of 150. The next time I load them I’m going to drop it back to 1700ish for deer

Butch, I could send 50-100 to you if you want to see how your rifle likes them. No need buying a mold if your rifle doesn’t shoot them well. I don’t want anything for them.

I remember 425 grain Pile Driver Juniors at 1900 from my 1895 Guide Gun... While accurate as heck, the recoil was less than fun. Those bullets may still be orbiting the Earth.

Back