When would you use a Partition over an Accubond?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I have used the excellent Partition bullet every since I started reloading. But now with the AccuBond coming out I gotta wonder. For me the AccuBond is easier to get great accuracy from and it seems as though it would do the same job on any animal. So what am I missing here? :? What would differentiate when to use one bullet or the other?

Long

There are many factors in choosing one over the other. Most people have found that if they are happy with the Partition they shouldn't change. However, the AccuBond gives you something just as you said, accuracy. Not only that, accuracy at longer ranges.
The AccuBond is a tipped bullet and you need to treat it just as that. So if you hunt in heavy timber, then stick with the Partition. If you are in an open area the AccuBond would be great for not only the long range ability, but the penetration of the Partition.
The Partition is our flagship and will always be that. If you can only choose one bullet for everything, that is it. But if you gun doesn't shoot Partition particularly well, give AccuBond a try. They work. I have tested for 3 years with this product and they hit hard, penetrate deep and fly like a Ballistic Tip.

Tipped projectiles are designed like this. The tip initiates expansion. So whatever the tip hits, it will expand. So, if you hit a twig, guess what, expansion. That is not to say it won't still work, but chances are against ya.

A Partition even if it hits a branch or something else in the way, will still have the rear core to drive the bullet home.

I may be mis-informed, but I have always believed that brush busting capabilities of bullets is way over exagerrated. Any bullet regardless of design, caliber, etc. is subject to be thrown off course by even the smallest twig it connects with. Expansion after hitting a twig would not be my first concern. I would think you'd want to use the most accurate bullet, with the best ballistic qualities, that is designed for the game you are after, regardless whether hunting open areas or woodlands. If you connect with a branch with a BT or Partition, there is a very good chance your bullet will not hit its mark. Just my opinion. :?

A Partition is designed to shed the front core, then penetrate deeply (by virtue of its small frontal diameter), often exiting the animal.

The AccuBond is designed to mushroom quickly, and keep more of its weight than the Partition. It may or may not penetrate as deeply as the Partition and may not exit the animal.

You'll have to test the AccuBond on the game you hunt to determine if it's right for you. The Partition has already established a benchmark for performance.

George

If you get acceptable hunting accuracy with the partitions and have for all these years, then why change? I really think confidence counts. I have absolute confidence in the Partition. I handload 20-40 rounds a year of Ballistic Silver Tip for a friend who lets me hunt his land. I put them in good looking nickle cases. He has had 100% success with them, likes the way they look, swears by them and has confidence in them. I couldn't give him a truckload of Partition ammo. I wouldn't consider using the stuff I make for him. I reckon we both insist on dancing with the one that brung us!

Paul

You are right, any bullet that hits anything will go off the mark. But if the brush or whatever is right in front of the critter, the Partition will penetrate a bit better. Just a bit, but you are right when talking about confidence. THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT

Please don't forget.
Both products are suitable for the same range of big game. Accuracy in your rifle would be one criteria, also the higher ballistic coefficient of the AccuBond suits it better for long range shooting. Conversely, the shorter length of the Partition is better adapted to loading many of the shorter length cartridges as it does not intrude into the case as far.

Back