Which one...

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
Assuming equivalent bullet types... ie. 40 BTs vs 55 BTs or 60 Partition vs 100 Partition, and similar rates of fire, is a .243 going to last longer than a .22-250? To put it in another, more gun crank manner, which one am I going to waste first?

Theoretically, the 22-250 will erode the throat before the 243. Practically, either will serve the ardent shooter that is judicious in preparing handloads and cautious about shooting until one could prepare tea by sticking the barrel in a cup of water with a tea bag in it will be well served for many years (certainly longer than I'll likely manage to continue on this terrestrial orb).

The doc is dead on.

Both case capacities are similar. Given that the smaller bore takes more punishment. This is why the 264 mag will not outlast a 338 mag

Kurt,

The guys are right. A larger bore diameter will give you longer barrel life.

JD338

BK":6kn11xus said:
http://kwk.us/cases.html

.22-250: 43 grains of water
.243: 54 grains of water

Just wondering if the smaller bore size evened out the extra powder volume.

You're correct sir.

A 250 savage versus the 22-250 would have been the perfect example.

Expansion Ratio - The ratio of the capacity of the powder chamber plus bore (in grains of water) to the capacity of the powder chamber (in grains of water).

Basically the 250 has a lower gas expansion ratio than the 22-250. Cases with a higher gas expansion ratio will in fact be more apt to barrel burning.

Same as the 308 win Vs 30-378

Also some more good reading

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... efinition/

Thanks, Fotis. I know about expansion ratio, though I didn't think about looking it up in this case. Doh!

Kurt -
Forget about which barrel will need to be replaced first. A barrel is an expendable commodity that needs to be replaced on a regular basis to help the ecomomy and give you something new to play with. :mrgreen: Burn baby burn

Actually, Joel, I was looking for the one I would fry first!

257 Ackley":1cqa3vzt said:
Kurt -
Forget about which barrel will need to be replaced first. A barrel is an expendable commodity that needs to be replaced on a regular basis to help the ecomomy and give you something new to play with. :mrgreen: Burn baby burn

DISCO INFERNO? :mrgreen:

257 Ackley":2dfd9paa said:
Kurt -

Thats Ackley for ya... being all civic minded again. Hes about to support the local economies of SD and MT and attempt to remove a problematic ELK too (good luck, friend) Me I just buy optics with GOLD rings around them. When I wear out the 250-savage I'll let ya know... :) CL

CL -
I try to help everyone I can.. :mrgreen: . Hopefully I can drop some elk at your house when I get back from Montana.

That'd be fantastic! Main thing is just find a spot to sit with the rifle across your knee's and see what the Lord made and then tell the tale....pics are OK too... Have a great time! CL

Back