which to choose?

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
Howdy folks.
Trying to decide on a new 1911. Cant afford a kimber or ultra high end other. What are your thoughts on the ruger SR1911 and the Remington 1911R1?

One of the patrolman that works for me bought a Ruger 1911. The fit and finish was excellent and it functioned flawlessly. And above all it is a real 1911a1, no firing pin block to muck up the trigger pull and reliability. Another has a Taurus 1911 and it too has functioned without incident over several years of qualifications. The finish is rough but it shoots every time.

I have three 1911s now. A Rock River that is a super pistol but no longer manufactured. Its been so reliable that its scary. I had it for over a decade. I have a S &W 1911 that has been totally reliable but has a firing pin block. Its activated by the grip safety so it doesn't muck up the trigger. I recently purchased an aluminum frame 4 1/4" Paraordnance 1911. While it is very light and compact the trigger is a little gritty because of the firing pin block activated by the trigger. But it shoots good and hasn't suffered any malfunctions through a couple hundred rounds.

I've handled a couple of Remingtons as the store but I haven't fired one and I don't know anyone who has one.

There are lots of 1911s out there for a variety of price ranges. Hope this helps some.

I've been tempted for quite a while now to get one or the other of the SR1911 and the R1. They both seem to be well made. I really think I'd have to handle both again and I'd probably buy the one with the best sights.

Well I am the proud owner of the Remington. The price and functionality won out. Mostly the price. The action seems smoother than the SR1911, and the para ordenance i handled as well. I think I'll be happy.

That's what counts. Congrats on the acquisition and let us know how it shoots...and post pics if possible!

I have always loved a 1911. My first one was a Llama. I think I have stepped up quitte a bit. But even the llama was a fun gun to shoot. I dont know whether to sell it or hand it down. My original thought was to sell it to help finance this one.........nah!

Now me thinks its time to start reloading for the 45ACP! Anybody got a good recipe for home defense? This will be one of my ccw's! I never trusted the Llama to eject hollow points well enough to carry. I'm hoping this one will do better. Riverrider, I'm a Ruger man! #1's, M77's Blackhawks , single sixes, and a 77-22. I have my share of Remington Rifles and shot guns as well. But this action is the smoothest I have worked. And today i drooled over several different brands. I liked it better than the higher priced ones. My ONLY stipulation in my purchase today was 1) it had to be American made, and 2) NOT over $1000.00. This one to me is a home run.

2013-01-29_19-53-01_579.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just nice.

I've looked at that particular handgun. A friend bought one, and he praises it quite highly.

I went to town planning on probably coming home with an SR1911. however, this one just seemed to "feel" better. and the price was where it should be.

Congrats on your new 1911. Does anyone know if the Remington 1911 is made by Remington in house or is it made by a sister company from the freedom group like the R-15, which is supposedly a Bushmaster with the Remington name on it.

From what I gather from a couple of other forums there still all Remington.

The gun performed flawlessly. Not one misfire or failure to feed from four different types of ammo. Including hollow points. A little over 100 rounds. No stove piping or any thing. Im happy happy happy!

JDMAG":368vjvc4 said:
Now me thinks its time to start reloading for the 45ACP! Anybody got a good recipe for home defense? This will be one of my ccw's!

I prefer the 230gr Gold Dot bullet. I have used Titegroup, 231, WSF, Bullseye WST, and 700-X all with good results. Most will burn a bit dirty with light loads. WST seems to have the least amount of flash which is a serious consideration when considering a SD load. Be careful when loading with Titegroup, WST, 700-X, Bullseye and any faster burning powder as their low charge weight makes it easier to double charge a load. You don't need to try anything special when it comes to load workup as the published 45acp loads have been well proven. You will get 20 different selections if you ask for the best powder for this cartridge with a large majority being one of the powders I listed above. With the current situation, feel lucky if you can find any powder suitable for the 45acp. If you do, buy it, it'll work.

Good Luck!

I am going to try some Nosler 230 JHP. and around 6 grains of Unique. O found that earlier this week and remembered using this powder from reloading 38 and 357 a long time ago. It's been a while since I loaded for pistol.
This is from yesterdays range session out on the hill. at about 20 paces, I gues it's "minute of bad guy" accurate. :lol:
2013-01-31_16-19-26_287.jpg

You missed the pin. :shock: I reckon it'll work, however. :grin:

Back