Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Cleansing of the soul?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All the above?

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Other and explain

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
When you have all four Rem Ultramags and a Nosler 30 & 26, I can't afford to buy ammo for them. That is of course if you can find ammo for any of those calibers. The other calibers I have, finding ammo with the bullet I want to use is dang near impossible.

I handload because I'm fascinated by the process. Started when I was a little kid "helping" Dad & Grandpa when they'd load for their rifles. That was 60+ years ago.

I enjoy finding good loads for my firearms. :)

Regards, Guy

I just like to have a hand in as many aspects as I can. Same way I ended up tying flies, building arrows, and making turkey calls. I think it ads something special when something you made contributed to taking game/fish. And somewhere along the line curiosity ends up an obsession.

My father hunted (I believe rather briefly) but never that I know of after I was born.
My family was not a family of hunters. I think my Mother’s Brother did occasionally but not a lot.
My Brother is a big hunter and has been hunting 40; years or more?
I was a high school Football coach and my fall’s were consumed with coaching and all that goes with it.
So, I’m a late to the game hunter who has always like firearms but never owned one until about ten years ago.
I started because I wanted the most accurate cartridge I could possibly get and to “save” money.
I have found I like it too.
And I’m very confident in where my bullet is going and how it is when it gets there, if that makes sense.

I started handloading when I was 16. Friends who were several old gentlemen mentored me through the early stages with a Lyman 310 tong tool and a couple or three sets of dies, 30-30, 30-06 and .38 Spl. to be exact. They also gave me a casting pot that went on a stove, dipper and a couple of molds. Every once in a while one of them would stop by and drop off some power. or maybe 100 primers and many times raw uncleaned wheel weights to make more bullets. Life was good. I still have most of those old tools, the exception being the diis for the /38 Spl. I still have part of the set but am missing some of the set.Every once in a great while I'll fire up the Coleman stove, cast up a few bullets, lubing and sizing and doing the gas checks is probably cheating some but then I load those bullets, usually 40 into 30-30 brass and take off into the desert to unwind and harass a few jackrabbits. It's kind of like passing back in time to when we thought things were better. Rifle is an old Winchester M94 carbine that originally was owned by my Great Grandfather. He gave it to my Grandfather as a wedding present. Pop passed it on to my dad who finally gave it to me. I'm almost positive neither pop or my dad ever shot the rifle. They just weren't interested. I took my first deer at age 11 with that old rifle. I'll never sell it. These days when I do any reloading it's more working up experimental loads to see the results. It's all fun.
Paul B.

Back