Why not use "real world" barrel lengths in data?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I really like the Nosler reloading guide. But I do not understand why you use so many 24-26 inch barrels in your testing. By far the most common hunting rifles have barrels that are 22 inches long. In my mind this makes it tough, for guys like me that do not have chronographs, to establish reliable information on velocities.

I have to disagree Long....Only one of my many barrels ae shorter than 24" and most are 26". The one shortie is a 223 with a 22" barrel. I MUCH prefer longer barrels and it seems most factory rifles have 24-26" barrels.

Kyle

Redman,

What rifle makes do you have? Because I bet 9 out of 10 rifles made today have under 24" barrels. Unless special order, varmint rifles or some magnums have over 24" barrels.

Long

I think this should be qualifed a bit, because I share the same frustration. I just wish Nosler would be more responsible and look at rifle sales and the different barrel lengths for each caliber. Other bullet companies have done this, and have changed how they test and post their reloading data. Speer has taken this approach, and my reloading results are always very close with their data. While my Nosler results are always 100 fps or more slower. Just as a point of reference all, but one, of my non-magnum rifles carry a 22" barrel. While all my magnum rifles have 24” barrels. The brands of rifles that I own are Sako and Remington.

Long,

Most of mine are Encore barrels, about 7 calibers, and a Win Mod 70, several Rem 700's.

No lever actions....may be the difference. When I get custom barrels, I like 26-28" but most of my hunting is done in TX open country.

One trip to Africa with an Encore custom 26" 280AI.

Better make that 2 under 24 because I think my CZ 550 American has a 23.3" barrel.

Just a preference thing I guess. Actually, I have and use Quickload for a lot of my reloading. If you ever need a load or two run for short barrels, shoot me an email.

Kyle
topboss8@yahoo.com

Also, I find the velocities fairly close to real world. I have been on both sides....below their expectations and above but very cautiosly.

Redman,

You make good sense. I have shot Encores in the past and would imagine with living in Texas longer shots are more the norm so sales of longer barrel rifles would be perhaps much more common. But I think that 22" and under is more common in the shooting/hunting ranks. But I still wonder why Nosler does not use shorter test barrels for non-magnum calibers?

Long

Long-

To answer your question most rifles are around 24". However, to answer more of your question there has been a significant shift to shorter barrels, especially in WSM and of course mountain style rifles. We will take your comments to heart. Thanks

Back