Winchester 748...

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Anyone notice just how dry 748 is...

I don't remember it being that dry..( maybe it was)
but I got 3 pound the other day working on some loads for matches come spring and the stuff is extremely dry.

I know that's an odd descript3 as we don't use wet powder but I don't know any other way to describe it.

It's been a few years...but has 748 always been dry like that?
You can even feel how dry it is in the powder measurer. It just feels different

Possibly an older lot of that powder. If walking wasnpt so painful right now I'd go out to my shed and check my supply. It has been stored under refrigeration for close to ten years. FWIW, I think what you may be seeing is some of the graphite used to control burning rate and also kind of lube the powder has fallen away from the powder changing the appearance and feel of the powder. Just my wild guess FWIW.
Paul B.

Possibly an older lot of that powder. If walking wasnpt so painful right now I'd go out to my shed and check my supply. It has been stored under refrigeration for close to ten years. FWIW, I think what you may be seeing is some of the graphite used to control burning rate and also kind of lube the powder has fallen away from the powder changing the appearance and feel of the powder. Just my wild guess FWIW.
Paul B.
Thanks for actually offering up a non smart ass reply.

Definitely a possibility.?.
It had just came in to the store right before I got it but who knows how old it actually is before it got dispensed into it's container and shipped out.

There is no question about it though the color is much more drab than other powders.

Exterminator from ramshot as example is very dark. Winchester 296 is very dark and has a high shine to it...

748 is nothing remotely close to those. It's extremely dull looking. Drab if you will.

It's just been a long time since i used any and I don't remember such a significant difference in appearance. It might have been that way before I just don't recall that being the case.

Thanks again

Many times graphite is used as a deterrent to slow down burning. While not a pefect comparisopn but a generalization consider W748=3031, W760 = 4350 and the long gone WMR =7828. I'm thinking the coloration of your W748 is probably because it had the least amount of graphite added during manufacture.
Paul B.

Back