Winchester Model 70 Questions

264 WinMan

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
I have a left handed Winchester Model 70 in a 300 wm. There is a hole in the side of the receiver at the end of the barrel chambering.
1. What is the hole for?
2. Pressure relief?
3. I noticed that a right handed rifle has one on the right side and the left haneded rifle has it on the left side.
4. I see inside the receiver that there is a notch taken out of the barrel to expose this hole.
5. If I were to install a factory take off barrel from a right handed rifle would the notch be on the wrong side?
6. Could I have both sides notched and not worry about pressure?
7. Knowing this is new to me and I would have a gunsmith set up the head spacing. Is the practical?

I am playing in uncharted waters here and would like a little help in understanding this since the older versions do not have the hole or notched barrel from what I have seen. I seek the wisdom of the forum.
Thank you in advance,
Gene

its a vent hole, in case of a ruptured case, that way the gas is diverted out the offside.
RR

Thank you to Ridge_Runner and Antelope_Sniper, that would make sense. So that brings me to the other part of the question, would the pressure window fall out on the opposite of the chamber for a right hand barrel on a left handed receiver? Also would putting another window in the barrel weaken it? OR just send it off to be rebarreled.

Thanks again,
Gene

Personally, if you are going to mess with a new barrel, I would just get a good aftermarket tube spun on.

Back