Winchester Model 70 Ultimate shawdow Stock replacement

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Looks like I got the Browning sold and picking up New Winchester Model 70, Its an ultimate shadow, but I don't really love the stock, but love the fact I will now have a new model 70 made in the USA. I would like a replacement stock, would love to find a Factory sporter stock, but what your thoughts on boyds stocks and the Bell and Carlson Medalist Ultra light. Where can I find a nice wood stock for a reasonable amount of money? I need a long action, maybe someone has one laying around collecting dust. Give me your thoughts. thanks

I replaced the Tupperware stock on my Black Shadow with a Boyd's laminate.
Since then they have started offering stocks in Walnut with checkering if you so desire.

The laminates are a bit heavier than a wood stock but the fit was spot on.

HTDUCK, did you bed the boyds stock when you got it, would Laminate would be heavier than walnut? I would think so, but heck I'm not a wood expert.

I put a boyds stock on my classic stainlessl and really like it.

It was supposed to be VIP stock, but whoever set it up in the jig must have been drinking at lunchtime. I had to inlet a considerable amount of time just to get it to set in straight.

I checkered it myself.

Midwest gun works has some good ones for sure.

Thanks for the reply hornet, that's the kind of thing I like to hear, I'm thinking hard about a Boyd's.
By the way you got to love hunting Missouri whitetails! Hunted northern Missouri for several years. It's a beautiful place! I could live in there and be happy.

I did not, nor have I yet bedded it. Just one of those projects I haven't gotten around to yet.
The rifle is chambered in 7STW and quite frankly I don't shoot it very often.
Worked up a load for it w a 160 Partition.
Now it only comes out of the safe for deer season in Mo.

Yes the laminates are heavier than walnut stocks I'm sure.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Look around you can buy stocks from many places. I bough this Model 70 stock from someone on this forum. I also have bought stocks on Ebay that were cheap and in good shape.

Back