Summer Minnesota As issued vintage/garand matches

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
3 more matches this summer. Next is Saturday. Matches are at GRRC (Harris). 2 as issued vintage military rifle, one vintage sniper match per date. All CMP rules apply. Info is posted at MRRA.org, GRRC.org and CMP site.

If anybody is interested in doing something different than shooting your remchester off a boring old bench and seeing how you can really shoot, stop on by. I've got a couple of loaner rifles and GRRC has some loaner Garands.

sounds good am interested when are the other two matches? i dont have a legal rifle so i would take you up on borrowing one. paul i might be coming out to minnesota sooner than i thought.

usmc 89":2yvks7kq said:
sounds good am interested when are the other two matches? i dont have a legal rifle so i would take you up on borrowing one. paul i might be coming out to minnesota sooner than i thought.
We'd love to have you. Pretty long drive for a one day event unless you have other business in the area. There are similar matches near you, check out the CMP competition tracker. Next year there may be a bigger event but nothing is official yet.

Sounds like a good excuse to pick up an M1 Garand, Swede M96 or Swiss K-31 to me. I have a Finn M39, Swiss Gew 11, Swiss K-31, and Swede M96. I shoot one in the match, the others would be available as loaners. My Garand still needs work. I do not have a spare sniper rifle but it might be possible to shoot opposite relays and use mine. The club has a couple I guess. They also have club Garands for use in these matches free of charge with club ammo at .50 per round.

They are allowing iron sighted AR15s and M1As to be fired for unofficial score.

thanks for the info polaris maybe i can make it and drag 257 ackley along with me there is a f class match in north dakota i got invited to and i think it falls on that date but if not i will try to get over there.

F class is fun but it's still shot with optics and benches. I did pretty well in some early matches with my .280 mauser and a 3X9 burris before the "throw money at it" crowd really priced up the equipment to stay competetive. Now I prefer my WWII guns and iron sights. Not many clean scores here. The offhand stage really weeds out the wannabees, and the rapid fire prone means you need to know your rifle well. Competing and practicing this kind of shooting really makes one a better all around field shooter. You'll have confidence making shots from field positions you never would have dreamed of before. Also equiptmnt is not spendy. A decent $100 mosin with military ball can be competive. A swede, swiss, springfield or quality Garand with match handloads will add a few points to your prone scores though.

Back