Memorial Day Shoot May 27, 2012

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Wind wrecked havoc on us today. The rifle did well. The shooters however did not fare well. Here's several pictures from the match this morning.

DSC02138.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

Thanks for posting this. A lot of shooters have no idea how tough the wind can be at longer ranges... Brutal!

How well do those partitions between the shooters work? Nice idea with all the muzzle brakes allowed in some competitions.

Guy

what kind of wind were you dealing with? looks like you had a right to left with big let offs? good shooting regardless of the condition. looks like an armalite bolt gun in the one pic been awhile since i have seen one of those.

If you follow shot by shot by looking at the placing you see he gets dialed in and then goes way off to the right then gets sucked back over to the left.

There are 4 types of wind to deal with at the Desert Marksman 1000 yards range and can be tricky at times. You really have to pay attention to what the wind is doing because it can be frustrating. I will Google Earth it and post it here. No one shooter can dominate the match. You can be winner on one match and really suck on the next. The key is to have a good spotter giving you a good read on wind.

I believe the best score from yesterday was 246, with 8" as the smallest group, won by the same guy. He's been at every match for the last couple of years and never won.

The 6.5-47 Lapua is a capable 1000 yards cartridge. The rifle did well but the shooter was not. Frank scored 218. I was calling wind for him and he was doing really great for the first 3 shot, putting all three within 7 or 8 inches when all the hell broke loose. He totally missed the whole target on the 4th shot and barely kept the 5th on paper. I think Frank got nervous.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my performance at the match, considering that I haven't shot 1K since last year. I told Frank we need to practice more, and we will. Frank joined the club so that we can practice there more often. The range is only half hour from his house. It will be over an hour from mine.

DF,

Nice shooting. The wind can do a lot of crazy things over 1k yards. Looks like you were on top of your game, congratulations.

JD338

You have every reason to be satisfied, Rommel. You did very well, despite the wind.

you did well df for not shooting that distance very often. your out there competing and thats the bottom line. the more you guys shoot there the better you will get at correcting for the condition and the scores will come up. you have pin pointed the problem, together you guys can work on it. Your out there shooting against other people for score in a timed event thats a different environment than just banging rounds down range at the gun club. good job to the both of you. p.s. good form on the rifle.

usmc 89":3gn779h0 said:
you did well df for not shooting that distance very often. your out there competing and thats the bottom line. the more you guys shoot there the better you will get at correcting for the condition and the scores will come up. you have pin pointed the problem, together you guys can work on it. Your out there shooting against other people for score in a timed event thats a different environment than just banging rounds down range at the gun club. good job to the both of you. p.s. good form on the rifle.

Indeed!

usmc 89":1eijn0jm said:

Hey! Thanks for the complement Jeff. That old Vietnam Vet Army Sniper from the shooting class that I attended a few years back, thought me well and really help me with my shooting. Now if only I can do something with this 55 year old eyesight, then I'm all set. :)

thats easy DF just drop the 3200 on a scmidt bender or 4k on the lasic problem solved :grin:

usmc 89":3ew6q0zf said:
thats easy DF just drop the 3200 on a scmidt bender or 4k on the lasic problem solved :grin:

Man, you always have the answer!!! :lol:

usmc 89":2pklfrz6 said:
I probably go for lasek surgery before I drop 3,200 on Schmidt. I look at a friend PM II and my eyes was not impressed by it. Maybe my eyes were really that bad. My buddy Frank likes my MK4 better than his NXS, and he had lasek surgery a few years ago. I can see fine with my MK4. I just have to learn how to relax my eye muscle when competing.

good deal for frank he will save some money. and as far as the schmidt goes i think there is a focus knob on the left side of it that might help you the next time you look through one :grin:

Back