308 Revisited

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Since the wifey took ownership of my 6.5-47, I found my self with only the 308 for a non magnum rifle for our upcoming 600 yards shoot on the 15th of this month. In a way it's a good thing since I rarely shoot this rifle that much. I will also revisit my old load for this competition using the 168 grain Nosler Competition and 43.5 grain of BLC-2 at around 2650 ft/sec. I was using this load the other day shooting clay with my wife at 600 yards and I was able to hold my own. I think on a calm day, I will do good with this rifle.

DSC01463.jpg

Ten shot group with 168 grain Nosler Competition.

IMGP1990.jpg

Very Nice Group - and what yardage again did you shoot that 10 shot er :?: :grin: RJ

Nice shooting!

Yup, the good old .308 can be mighty accurate - and it's not hard to get there either.

Rem Jim":383m1kjk said:
Very Nice Group - and what yardage again did you shoot that 10 shot er :?: :grin: RJ

Jim, this was during load development with the 168 Nosler Comp at 110 yards. Actually there's twos sets of 5 shot group. 5 with 43.0 grains and the other 5 with 43.5 grains. Half grains difference, opened the group to about 3/4 of an inch.

Here's a six shot group during box test with IOR Valdada riflescope. I lost count on shot 4. I dialed 9 MOA instead of 6 MOA. In any case the scope passed the box test. You can only do box test with an extremely accurate rifle.

Picture100.jpg

Rommel, I do believe that 308 will work for you. Very fine results. I commented to Gil this morning that I do not have a 308, and I may have to pick one up shortly. My, how the mighty have fallen. :shock:

Back