HELP- !! Whats going on w/ my rifle

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Hey all,
Below please find a pic of two groups. Note that the groups were shot from the same rifle, same group of reloads (powder, dimensions, etc.) The groups were shot six months or more apart. The group on the lined paper was shot after my scope was sent to leupold for a new erector system and paralax adjustment. Along with that I redid/ rechecked all screws and mounts. Obviously the groups are virtually identical. There was no particular order to the point of impact of each shot so I am tending to rule out, barrel heat stringing. Once "Aggie" (short for aggravation) got this out of her system, I shot a five shot group I could fit inside just over an inch. This rifle does this time and time again. So I do I need a coach, or a shooting school or a miracle for this barrel, or a new trigger finger?. I bought another trigger I have not installled as I dont think that will help. BUT WHat is the answer? OPINIONS WELCOME thanks CL

Matchinggrougs.jpg

First off, CL, these groups were shot on January 1, 1997. The data is too old to be of much use. :mrgreen:

Seriously, vertical stringing can have several causes. It could be a problem with the chamber, especially resulting from headspace being too tight. Is it possible that you have significant pressure on the fore end? Another common area of concern in a rifle that causes vertical stringing is a poor trigger (excessive spring load). Finally, in a rifle, stock flex can introduce vertical stringing. The shooter himself/herself can introduce vertical stringing as often as can the rifle. Poor shoulder control, inconsistent breath control and failure to maintain focus can all be the culprit. Perhaps some data will be helpful in diagnosing from a distance. Rifle? Ammunition? Observed in other loads/rifles?

OOOH forgot to set the date on the camera after the battery died. :oops:
So, the rifle is my beloved but agravating 250-3000 savage. fired case lenght @ 1.916 (4 thousandths over max length). Remmington brass, CCI standard primers- Magnum primers it does not like... Rifle is an FN Mauser action, Medium heavy contour 22 inch barrel. Aftermarket trigger of unknown parentage, a little creepy but 1.5 pound pull. Powder is 40 grains of H4350 under a 75 Gr. Hornady V-Max. Barrel is floated to within about an inch of the chamber, stock is Glass bedded full length. This one does not like pressure point on the forend. This is a heavy rifle but does have a rather slim forend, about like a winchester FW.

Groups were shot from a zero max rest at 100 yards about 70 degrees F.

Poor shoulder control is a possibility. 3 tears in a rotator on that side and pushing a WC for 45 years will do that to ya. This is the only rifle I have that shoots this kind of group, but that could just the weight or somthing vs another rifle I suppose?

Rifle and rest
Riflerest.jpg

Rifle anf a target w/ Rem. factory loads from 5 years ago.
Leuygrp101708.jpg

CL, I'm groping, trying to suggest possible causes for what appears to be vertical stringing. Eliminate these issues one at a time, just as you have already begun to do. It is possible that the trigger has gone bad, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of poor shoulder fit in light of your situation. One way to eliminate that is to have a friend who is able to shoot well give the rifle a whirl. There are perhaps other issues that should be noted as well. I note that you are shooting from a rest. I must wonder if what you are witnessing is jump from the rest. Since it is a good rifle gone bad, one should not rule out the possibility that your firing pin is dragging, possibly due to a weakened spring.

Thanks Dr. Mike- I had not thought of the firing pin spring issue. I spoke with my smith today and his suggestions about the trigger have me waiting on that. Its not as good as some of my rifles. but its better than most for bench shooting. Also called a buddy who is a good shot. Ithink I'll give him a few rounds and let him "wring it out". I can live with the groups Im getting as long as its "just me". Thanks again for the replies. CL

Back