Taco Night

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Leaving with wifey in an hour to meet with Frank for a Taco Night and 600 yard night shoot at the Desert Marksman in Palmdale. This will be my first night shoot and my wife first ever competition. It's mighty hot right now at 97 degrees F. Hopefully it will cool down enough at the start of the shoot.

Rommel,

Good luck!
Enjoy the tocos and the 600 yd shoot.

JD338

Well, it's official. My wife kick mine and Frank's behind. Not even close. The score tells all. My wife will ended up probably on the top ten once the final scoring is publish. There's about 40 shooters participated. The match didn't finished until 1 AM this morning.

DSC02235.jpg

The food was great. Brad, the match director, brought this couple to cooked and served Tacos for the hungry shooters and their families.

DSC02232.jpg

Very good. Oh, yeah, and the Tacos look pretty scrumptious, Rommel. :grin:

Thanks DrMike. It was a wonderful weekend spent with the wife. She enjoyed it at as much as I did. My coaching helped immensely, but she did the rest. I was so proud of her. :)

Way to go rommel , letting your wife beat you to keep her interested. I took a guy to a precision rifle match and he got stomped, haven't seen him since. Dave was there to verify that statement. looks like the wife is a natural, now.you will have to build her a rifle so she doesn't beat you with your own. I can empathise I let a buddy use one of my rifles and he beat me with it. Congrats and impressed.

Thanks Jeff.

Yeah, my wife had a good time. As a matter of fact, the scorer made a mistake. Her score is actually 241 not 239 of the possible 250. I just sent an e-mail to the match director to point the error. I want to make sure that the correct score will be corrected prior to posting the final result.

I just spoke with my smith. I will have breakfast with him this weekend to discuss rifle build for my wife.

Very cool DF! Way to go. Man, your wife did excellent. What are you going to put together for her?

SJB358":1f5b260n said:
Very cool DF! Way to go. Man, your wife did excellent. What are you going to put together for her?
Thanks Scotty.

I'm contemplating building a 6 BR for my wife. I already have the action and I'm ordering a barrel for it.

That sounds pretty cool to me DF. I know Joel is a huge fan of his as well.

Desert Fox":3byovxr1 said:
SJB358":3byovxr1 said:
Thanks Scotty.

I'm contemplating building a 6 BR for my wife. I already have the action and I'm ordering a barrel for it.

What action and barrel are you going to use? What contour on the barrel? Are you throating it for a specific bullet?
I sold my 6BR about 2 weeks ago because of the stock it was glued into (McMillian BR model) and am having a new one built right now that will be put in a true F-class stock. I really like the caliber for 600 yard matches and think it can compete with just about anything our there unless it is really windy. I'm still the biggest liability when the scores are totalled. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

I was thinking re-chambering my 40X to either 6 Dasher or just plain 6 BR. I do have another short action Remington that I just bought for the same purpose.

As far as barrel goes, Any of of the makers out there that has 8 twist and no waiting time will be my choice.

The 6BR and close relatives are OUTSTANDING cartridges.

Extreme accuracy and very mild recoil & report. I've had the honor of scoring and spotting while a young lady here in Washington destroyed the 600 yard target, shooting from prone with her 6mm BR. She's talented, and the 6mm BR let her really show off. She was hitting the 3" spotter more often than not. Prone. Sights. Incredible.

Yeah, she outshot me and my .308 Win. Go figure.

Guy

Well, the score was published but they did not corrected the mistake in scoring. My wife should be 8th place rather than 9th. That's okay, she still made the top ten.

DESERT_MARKSMAN_Sept2012_Results1-1.jpg

Back