6 BR Norma

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Well, It's time for another build. Not for me this time however but for the wife. I figured a 6BR Norma will be a good chambering for my wife's rifle since I plan on getting her to participate in our monthly Precision Rifle shoot at my local club.

Jim and I went and had breakfast last Saturday and spent the rest of the morning sorting through his collection of reamers and discussing rifle smithing in general. I always enjoy this talk with Jim and I could tell that he does it too. I try not to take up so much of his precious time since he is a one man shop, but Jim always enjoy my company and there's always interesting topic to talk about.

Jim has two 6BR reamer on hand. One throated for 75 to 85 grain bullet and another for the 105 VLD's. He is also ordering one for another customer that is throated for 108 VLD Berger. He showed me the dummy round that the customer provided him and I like it. I told Jim I'm fine with either reamer, although I might go ahead and have him use the 105 reamer.. Berger has 105 Hybrid that has higher BC than the 108. Besides, I might try to use the 95 grain VLD also, sacrificing BC for higher velocity. We will see. DF

That is great, Rommel. It will be great to see it when he is finished.

That sounds like a very cool rifle DF! I am looking forward to seeing it.

Rommel, my buddy is using a 6br this weekend at the Jordan tactical match we are going to. he is running a 105 vld right at 2900, I think he will do just fine with it. he is running a ten round magazine on it as well and it seems to feed well. your wife will be a force to be reckoned with when its all said and done. the 6br is another overlooked offering.

Rommel , my buddy got third in the team match and fourth individually with his 6br , not to shabby considering a lot of the targets were out in 700+ land. 105 Berger vld @ 3000 fps, pretty close to the 47 ballistically

3000 fps :shock: that's getting in the 6mm dasher velocity would you care to share his load.

DF - that 6mm BR continues to impress me, particularly with the heavier bullets. What a great little cartridge! I've seen several in use at our 600 yard prone matches. Very little recoil and tremendous accuracy!

buckfever":188ojcip said:
3000 fps :shock: that's getting in the 6mm dasher velocity would you care to share his load.

I would like to know what that load is too. My BR with a 30" Krieger barrel and 30 grains of Varget with the 107 SMK was only getting about 2830fps. Thst is pretty close to compressed. Do you know how much moa he had to dial for 700 yards? At 600, I was dialing about 12 moa with a 100 yard zero.

I understand that the velocity mentioned is suspect, I am not sure if that was actual velocity, but that is the number he gave me to make the dope chart. I will not give any load info for the fact I didn't load it nor was I there when it was loaded. given the advertised velocity i am assuming there was a chronograph error or over pressuring involved.

Thanks for response Guys. The components are here. Still not sure which stock to use.

DSC02310.jpg

you may want to look at an A-5, A-3 or A-2 mcmillan great from prone and other positions as well if she is going to shoot any other disciplines. i am not sure if you were considering the a-3 sporter but that would not be my pick from a prone position. A-4 is a good platform for the larger calibers but rides a bit high for my taste from prone off a bipod.

Will the use be mainly on a heavy rest shooting F-class or multiple uses like hunting and tactical matches as well? If it will just ride a 3" wide front rest, you may look at stocks built just for f-class. My 6BR being built right now is going in a dedicated f-class stock. The 6.5X47 is in a Manners T2-A, as will be the 22X47 being built over the winter.

I have shot prone with several A-5's and they ride a rear bag nicely, just like the Manners a little better.

G'Day Fella's,

DF, a couple of locals use 6BR bench rifles (with good success), to shoot the 500meter "Fly Shoot" and 1000 yard BR match!
Not sure what their bullet choice is but they shoot way beyond what that little cartridge looks capable of!!!

Doh!
Homer

Always exciting getting everything together for a new build! What scope are you putting on the rifle once it is completed?

You appear to have gathered some great components for your build, Rommel. It will be interesting to watch it taking shape. Like Joel, I'm interested to see what scope you select for the rifle.

Nightforce just came out with a new competition riflescope. I might give it a try.

Back