Minnesota CMPVintage/Garand/sniper rifle matches summer 2013

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=88879

This link is to the CMP forums thread on these matches. You can also find them at MRRA.org or the CMPs official site. These are sanctioned CMP events so they qualify as one of your requirements to purchase a Garand from CMP.

I will hopefully be shooting all 4 dates. These are pretty low-key fun matches and are a great introduction to formal shooting in the CMP format. That being said, there are a couple of top national HP shooters that attend almost every match so if you're into trying to beat the best, the opportunity is there if you keep 'em in the middle. Equipment is minimal, a shooting mat (I use a camping pad) and a WWII vintage bolt action or Garand in basically as-issued condition with an M1907 or GI web sling will get you started. You can spot targets with binoculars. The best scores were consistently fired with Springfields, Garands, Swedish mausers or my K-31 but you can certainly have fun with any mosin or mauser as well. I have a few loaner rifles available as does the Harris club. Hope to see some of you guys this summer.

The sniper match was really fun last year. 1952 or earlier issue sniper rifle at 300 and 600 yards.

Next match is next Saturday. We had a pretty good turnout at the last one despite the extreme wind (made 600 yard stage of the vintage sniper match a bit "challenging" (WAG)). Come on out! Next match is 2 as-issued iron sight matches at 200 yards. 35 rounds per match.

If I were closer I would.
I always enjoyed shooting at Camp Perry with the M1 Garand.

JD338

Well, I did a pretty good job of representing the Nosler 155 BTHP and fine Swiss craftsmanship today.

Took an overall 2nd, first in as-issued class in the first match with a 273 5X, shooting my Gewehr 11 straight pull (first match with this rifle, I really like it, just need to do some load work to get it to shoot to zero at 200 yards) and took overall 1st in the second match with a 276 4x with my trusty K-31. 2 Silver CMP medals, missed gold by 2 pts in the second. Shooting conditions were pretty good but fogging glasses in the offhand stage of match 2 caused me to drop a few points.

Congratulations. That sounds pretty good. I can't imagine that any of us will complain about that performance.

Back