6.5 x 47 Lapua barrel, in my switch barrel gun

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

Whilst I have had this barrel for almost a year, I have only recently acquired all of the reloading components for this cartridge.
I plan to use this rifle/barrel combo, in the local 500meter "Fly Shoot" and 1000yard (both bench rest) shoots.
I have only recently started reloading and running in the 26" long, 1 in 8" twist, 3 groove Lilja #7 barrel.
I have been shooting both 6.5mm Nosler 140gnr Custom Competition and 142grn Sierra Match Kings at just over 2700fps.

Don't get me wrong fella's, I'm no BR shooter but I do like burning powder!

Here are at least one image of this rifle, its the one without the muzzle brake(that's a .338lap Mag).

Merry Christmas
Homer

Attachments

• 040.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 5,382
Very nice setup, Homer. It must be spring there. I haven't seen much green for some time. A couple of great cartridges showing for you.

Very nice rifle Homer. I am hearing alot of GREAT things about the little Lapua.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You both, for the kind words!

Yes Dr Mike, it's Summer over here at present ( 33, 34, 35 degrees C or Mid 90's degrees F) and we have been receiving our fair share of rain.
The country side, looks an absolute treat at present and the wild life ,especially the Deer are in fantastic condition!!!

Merry Christmas
Homer

Ah, yes, I'm somewhat envious at the moment. It has warmed to -20 today, Homer. We also have intermittent snow today. It looks lovely for you.

Dr Mike, I don't mind the cold but that is a bit colder than I'm used to!
Luckily, Christmas Day is overcast at present, with a top temp of 22 degrees C / 72 F.
Very pleasant weather for laying around in, with a belly full of great food!

Merry Christmas to you all!!!
Homer

HomerOz":3eznkcjg said:
Dr Mike, I don't mind the cold but that is a bit colder than I'm used to!
Luckily, Christmas Day is overcast at present, with a top temp of 22 degrees C / 72 F.
Very pleasant weather for laying around in, with a belly full of great food!

Merry Christmas to you all!!!
Homer

You're blessed, mate. Christmas morning is projected to be -29C and a high for the day of -26C. I will likely stay in, although I made tentative arrangements to hunt wolves in the new year.

G'Day Fella's,

Dr Mike, Good Luck with the Big Dog hunts!

Sorry Fotis, I forgot to reply to your earlier post!
Yes several mates of mine also have 6.5 x 47 Lapua chambered rifles, that they shoot in F class and Tactical Rifle matches with!
Talk about an accurate shooter, this cartridge is very much like the great .222 Remington was/is!

I'm currently looking at building up a 6.5mm hunting rifle.
I have access to a near new stainless Rem Model 7 action, and was going to get a new PT&G bolt and chamber it in 6.5 Rem Mag?
High-Tech Spec stock, Maddco #3 profile 1 in 8", 24" fluted barrel etc???

Doh!
Homer

Homer -
Do you do the gunsmithing on your rifles? That little 6.5 looks good on the bench. I like the bench as well...don't have to worry about that one wobbling :mrgreen: ! Take a picture of some targets you shot at 500 so we can see how it is doing.

The green hills sure do look nice. I think the high here today is supposed to be about 10 F. The dog doesn't even want to go outside and play.

257 Ackley":sx3i27bt said:
Homer -
Do you do the gunsmithing on your rifles? That little 6.5 looks good on the bench. I like the bench as well...don't have to worry about that one wobbling :mrgreen: ! Take a picture of some targets you shot at 500 so we can see how it is doing.

The green hills sure do look nice. I think the high here today is supposed to be about 10 F. The dog doesn't even want to go outside and play.

I'd trade our weather for Minnesota today. It is -33C, Joel. I see that Marshall is -22C, and that would feel positively balmy. It was -22 here last evening when I came home from Christmas Eve service. I wore a vest and sweater. Without wind, it wasn't bad at all.

G'Day Fella's,

I hope you blokes had a great Christmas Day!

.257 Ackley, I have always done most of my own gunsmithing, I still only have a couple of chamber reamers.
So I usually get the barrel makers here in Australia (Maddco etc), to chamber and fit barrels to my actions.
Due to a recent change in circumstances (for the better), I hope to soon start doing this work myself!
My main line of work in my business, is manufacturing things, of my own design.
Here is an image of a 100meter target from the 6.5 x 47 and 142 grn Sierra MK.
Still working out seating depth on this rifle, the above load was 0.010" INTO the lands!
As I have stated before, I'm no BR shooter but I'm improving.........?
.257 A, this switch barrel (Hopper Stopper) was originally built for me decades ago by Australia's premier BR Gunsmith at the time, John Giles if PSECO.
John, trued up the action, re-cut the factory action/barrel thread, sleeved the action, 3 lever 2oz trigger etc and then bedded it in a McMillan Hunter class F/glass stock.
The original barrel, was in .22-250 Ackley Improved (40*) but shortly after this the government released the Calesis (spelling?) virus that killed off most of the rabbits in this country! BUGGER!!! About 18 months ago, I sent the rifle back to John Giles and asked him to fit a similar profile barrel (#7) but chambered for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua cartridge.

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 5,344
That is some excellent grouping, Homer. Enviable group, I should say.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for your kind words!
The thing I'd like to know is, how small a group the rifle can actually shoot?
Might need to get a BR shooting mate of mine, to sit behind the butt and have a go!

.257 Ackley and Dr Mike.
I assume the reason the temperature around you place is so Cold, is because of Global Warming!...... ?
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!!!

Doh!
Homer

HomerOz":2ut2zv5x said:
.257 Ackley and Dr Mike.
I assume the reason the temperature around you place is so Cold, is because of Global Warming!...... ?

Doh!
Homer

And I was all set to set out some date palms, maybe even a few eucalyptus trees. I think I'll hold off for a while longer. Ah, but come summer (here), and the scenery changes dramatically.

HomerOz":22rs3xvn said:
G'Day Fella's,

.257 Ackley and Dr Mike.

Doh!
Homer

Last year we had a really mild winter (warmest I can remember), so I think payback has started :) . I am heading to Taiwan the first of February to warm my bones for a couple weeks. Just have to ride this out for a month.

Nice target with the SMK, I tried the 140's in my rifle and eliminated them right off the bat. Have you tried either weight of the Scenars? The reamer my chamber was cut with was supposed to be for the Berger hybrid VLD bullet, but it seems to like the Scenars better. The one thing I learned with VLD's last summer though is not to judge them at 100 meters, but at 500 + meters.

Just so I understand the lingo...does hopper stopper mean for "roos"? :mrgreen:

G'Day .257 Ackley,

I haven't tried any of the Scenars yet but a mate of mine swears by the 123grn Scenars (in his 6.5 x 47 Lap), for shooting our 500meter "Fly Shoot" comp!

Yes Hopper Stopper is for both Roo's and Rabbits or Skippy's and Bunnies!
.257, I remember back at that thread I started in Big Bores, you asked if one of the rifles in the image, was for shooting Roo's!
Well there was the .375 H&H, the .404 Jeff and the other Butt-Ugly rifle, is a Mk V Weatherby in .340 WM.
And basically, whilst the .222Rem and now the .223Rem it would appear, were designed (unexpectedly) as "The Perfect" Roo shooting calibers, we will shoot them with what ever we are hanging onto at the time!
It's just that the .222 & .223 are far more efficient, when you are decking so many of them!
FYI, you have to pass both a photographic ID test and then quite a demanding night time Skippy Target shooting test, under a spot light!
I done this for several years, to assist the local farmers (on a volunteer basis), which gave me some great contact for hunting and varmiting, just 15 minutes drive from home!
But after a couple of thousand (99% head shot) Skippy"s, it does get the better of you psychologically! It's a prick of a job!!!

Doh!
Homer

Homer -
My daughter's best friend lives in Cunnamulla and works on a ranch. She has sent me pictures of the night hunts they go on to control some of the roos on the ranch. I didn't think she would hunt, but has shot a few from what she tells me. I guess they are pretty thick on the ranch. The truck they use has a special rack for hanging them by their feet if I remember correctly.
She has some pictures on her facebook page I just looked at, but can't figure out how to post to you on this thread.

G'Day .257 Ackley,

Cunnamulla in Queensland, its a very small world!
Not a problem mate, I have seen a couple of the Pro's trucks before, there usually a tray back Toyota Land Cruiser.
I think our annual Australia wide official cull quota is something like 6 million Skippy's (per Year) but I think just a few more than that, may get shot!
Not to mention Road Killed by the tens of thousands, hence our need for "Hopper Stopper" (Roo Bar/Bull Bar), on the front of our cars!!!

They really are a born survivor and need to be properly managed but it's really great to be able to go for a five minute walk from my home, and see a mob of Skippy's!
And I really wouldn't won't to have it, any other way!!!

Doh!
Homer

Back