Still knocking on door.

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
It was a lousy condition today. The wind was blowing crazy from a calm 2MPH one instance and 8-10 MPH sudden burst. Today, it's all about reading the condition and know when to pull the trigger. The magnum guys even had a hard time with the wind and we non magnum shooter got them beat. I thought I had a chance to win today because I got the wind all figured out but a few got it too, so I never made it to the winner circle. I probably placed 4th with a score of 246-14X. I believe the winner scored 248-9X.

The 6.5-47 Lapua shoots really well and I think I have the most X on the target. Overall though I'm pleased with my performance.

IMG_0654.jpg

Rommel,

That looks very good. I agree that your rifle and ammunition is well dialed in. You're in the zone.

Thanks DrMike. The 6.5-47 shoot like a laser. Once I had it dialed in, the rifle direct the 130 Berger VLD's where I want them. I'm really impressed with the 6.5 - 47 Lapua. During sight in, I was shooting at a 6 inch gong at 1,040 yards. The energy level of the 130 even at that distance seems pretty substantial even though my ballistics shows that it's. only around 715 lbs.

The wind was constantly shifting from a full value to a no value with speed up to 10 mph burst. I was shooting from the no. 1 firing position and I can see the flag from the corner of my scope so I don't have to lift my eye to see what it was doing. My ballistic programs call for a 3.5 MOA full value wind. I dialed half of that and compensated for the difference if need be using my scope reticle. The first shot is always critical in long range competition so you really have to take mental note as to where the reticle was pointing and what the wind was doing when you pulled that trigger.

I timed my first shot when the wind was at half it's max speed and aimed dead on just to see if my prediction is correct. The bullet landed at the 10 ring just below the X. On my 2nd shot I want to find out what would the bullet do when the wind was at max speed and at full value. I adjusted my aim and waited for the right condition and fired my shot accordingly. Just as I pulled the trigger however, the wind shifted almost to half value. The 2nd shot landed at the 9 ring farther to the left. On the 3rd shot I'm pretty much have the idea where to hold for wind and fired accordingly. My shot however landed low at the nine ring. I don't know it then since I have no spotter with me to tell me otherwise. I was alone yesterday, no friends around. I thought the shot was borderline 10 ring. It's still low however so I raised my elevation 2 clicks up and I was rewarded with an X on my 4th shot. I did not touch the scope after that. I did let two more shot leaked out of the 10 ring which made the difference between winning 1st place and ending up in 4th place. You can not give an inch to those guys at the Desert Marksman. You almost have to shoot perfect to win.

'Tis a skill, that's for sure. Your abilities are evident, Rommel. Congratulations on doing what most people only dream of. You are a competitor.

Was this 600 or 1000 yards? What is the final load you are using with the 130 VLD? I know you had been adjusting slightly with H4350.

I was doing the same as you last summer with my sighter shots, either when there was no wind or full value and than changing my reticle placement on the target for changes during my string of fire. We have a wind clinic coming up in 3 weeks at our club with 2 of the US F-class coaches. Hopefully it will help this year vs, last year when I was a newby to the sport. :roll:

It's 1000 yards.

This new lot of 8 lb H4350 I'm using seems a bit faster than the last batch I use. I dropped my load to 40.0 grains. Velocity is around 2815 fps which is still plenty at 1K. I'm really impressed with this little round. The result from Sunday shoot mirrors the result I had from last month competition. My score last month was 247-13X and landed me 3rd overall.

IMG_0588.jpg

Agree - great shooting. You have a 250 coming, just waiting for the right day...

Back