MOA target

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
This works as well for hunters as competition shooters, but I wasn't sure where to put it. One of the guys at the club I shoot at came up with a way to check what you need to dial (mils or moa) for 300 and 600 yards when you only have a 100 yard range to shoot at. I used it this afternoon to check against what the ballistics program I use said my "come-ups" should be for those distances. According to the ballistics program, 4.2 moa was needed for 300 yards and 13.9 moa was needed for 600 yards with the bullet/velocity being shot. Actual 300 moa was 5 and 600 was 13.5 moa.

The target is made with dots at the bottom to verify your 100 yard zero. Measure up 5 inches from the center of the dot and mark for your 300 yard POI. Measure up 16 inches from your 100 yard zero for your 600 POI. This will be pretty close for any caliber you are shooting. I saw it used for everything from a .223 to a 30-338 at a sight-in clinic I was an instructor at last Monday evening. You should use a ballistics program to have an idea how much you will need to dial to get close to what the 300 and 600 yard dots represent.

Here is a picture of the target I made for the test. I'm glad there is a range of 600 yards at our club to verify these numbers.

This is a great idea, I think it will save some ammo, thanks for the tip. !!!!

Somebody used to sell a target that did that. It had a single vertical line, and a low aimpoint.

Very useful not only for figuring come-ups, but for verifying that the scope was indeed tracking straight & true, not wandering off left or right as more elevation is dialed in.

I've got a couple of 'em around here somewhere. Haven't used one in years, but they were useful.

Guy

Guy -
This target was made with the 5" and 16" spread from the bottom dot for the .308 caliber. It is easy to use on other calibers to check and see if the moa you need to dial fits and the secope is tracking properly as you stated.

The numbers that JBM said I was supposed to dial for 300 and 600 fell in on the cardboard almost exactly where it said it should. It will let you know that you will hit paper at longer distances and be able to make adjustments based on the spotter from the pits.

Cool. Of course once we start stretching the range, all sorts of interesting things come into play, affecting windage and elevation - but a target like that still has a very valid purpose.

Guy

Back