Summer Sizzler Match

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Kind of a misnomer for the name of the match when you consider it was held in Grand Forks, ND (August is the only month that it gets above 80 degrees F). :) :wink:
This was a small match yesterday at 600 yards (mid-range). One of our fellow Nosler forum members (Nodak7mm) was in charge of putting this together. The wind did a complete 180 degree change from the first string to the third string. A lot of the better shooters didn't figure it out during their sighters and got caught.

The 6BR has 395 rounds down the tube now and has settled in on a load that seems to work pretty well. I ended last year being qualified as "expert" by the NRA using the scores from matches last year (master and high master are the top categories), so they still use that for placing me in matches until I have enough matches completed this year. That should happen soon.

Here is a link to the results Rod posted on Accurate shooter: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3818214.0

This was the first "clean" I have shot, so it was pretty exciting. The guy that won was the ND state champion last year. The guy who won the FTR class is another old jarhead that shoots at the same club in the Minneapolis area with me.

Congratulations, Joel. That is choppin' in high cotton. Good on Nodak7mm for his work.

Nice shooting buddy! Seems like all that time behind the gun is putting you at the top more and more!

Thanks guys. You know the saying...even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Congrats! Good shooting.

Glad that rifle is working out so well for you. Seems like it's a keeper.

Mostly though, it's a matter of reading the wind - and seems like you did just fine at that!

Guy

Congrats Joel.

My 6BR will be in action at our local 600 yard match for the first time this weekend. I'm still working on the load. I will finalized everything Friday. I'm having pressure issue with Reloader 15 powder since I don't have enough Varget. Man this cartridge is very temperamental.

DF -
Most of the guys I shoot with are using Varget regardless of the bullet in the 6BR. My buddy shoots 105 VLD's jammed 13 thousandths (30 grains), one shoots 107 SMK's jumped 12 thou (30.3 grains) and I'm shooting 105 Scenars jumped 4 thou (30.7 grains). Some are using BR4's and some are using 450's. I haven't heard of any of the top guys using any other primers. There is a full case of 205M primers on my shelf that I would love to trade for some 450's. It might be a simple as trying one of those primers to lock in the groups you post on here for us to drool over. R15 was pretty good at 100 yards, but it wasn't close to the node I found with Varget when doing ladder tests at 300 yards.

I would try the VLD's jammed about 10-15 thou with about 30 - 30.3 grains of varget with a cci primer and see if it doesn't settle in for you.

Well, I will be shooting the 105 A-Max at a reduced load. I was experiencing pierced primer with a hotter load of Reloader 15 in a 100 degree day. But then again I was using a 205M. I will go back using the 7-1/2 since the primer cup is a bit tougher than a 205. If this thing can withstand the pressure of a 6.5-47 Lapua, then it should be no problem with 6BR.

I tried the 105 A-max with both BR's owned and neither would shoot that bullet well. It will be interesting to see if a reduced load shoots well. How much MOA are you dialing for 600? If there is a good thing about Minnesota weather, we don't have to worry about 100 degree days :roll: :lol: .

I am testing 205M primers in my 22BR tomorrow with moderate charges of R15 and the 69 grain Scenar to see how that shoots. The throat is short, so these bullets are seated deeper than I like. It shot a nice group last weekend with 28.5 grains of 15, jumped about 10 thou. Will be testing up to 30 grains with seating depths from touching the lands to 20 thou off.

Good luck in your match...looking forward to seeing a report.

Back