Horizontal Stringing

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
Here’s my issue. I am stringing shots horizontally w/all my rifles. Some not so bad (MOA or better) and some…well BAD. I googled it and most responses were equipment related. Side pressure on the barrel, scope mounts loose, etc.

This is happening with all my rifles (four now; five when the 264 shows up) all using primo components. So, it’s definitely not equipment related (I’m not a believer in coincidence). My equipment is 1000000000x more reliable than myself.

So, it has to be technique. Can you guys share some tips w/me. I take all advice (breathing, rests, whatever). Thanks,

Typically, horizontal stringing relates to inconsistent trigger pull.

Make every effort to very gently press the trigger straight to the rear. Trigger on the same part of your finger every time, and be very gentle with it. A simple press, straight back, is all that's required. Think of pressing a button on a cell phone, something small like that.

It can even help to have a little mantra you're actually saying while so doing "Keep pressing. Keep pressing. Keep pressin... pow! Somewhere in there the shot will break, while you're gently pressing that trigger.

This is applicable to both handgun and rifle shooting.

Also worthwhile to see how the buttstock of your rifle and your shoulder are marrying up. Inconsistencies there can also lead to horizontal stringing.

With either the trigger or the buttstock/shoulder, shooters can easily and inadvertently disturb the rifle just at the point of firing, letting a little side-to-side movement creep in. That results in the horizontal stringing downrange.

Best of luck! Guy

Also - do you have a bit of a breeze going at your range? It really doesn't take much to string out the bullets a bit.

At 600 yards, I've fired a string of shots from my .308 that had only a 3" vertical, but were spread a full 18" from side to side, due to not correcting for the wind, just continuing to hold in the center of the X. That ammo can and has produced nice tight 3" and 4" groups at 600 yards.... Or I can let it wander from side to side.

My weakness is not detecting the "let offs" as the wind dies.

The wind really has a huge influence, especially as ranges increase.

FWIW, Guy

Stock fit, staying-in-the-shot, follow-thru, butt in your shoulder the same every shot, cheeking the rifle the same each shot, front rifle rest, rear rifle rest. How good is your eye-sight? Had your vision checked lately? Breathing is important when target shooting ... the list goes on.

Plan a day at the range with someone that you know that is a good rifleman and pick-up some tips.

According to my mentor , canting or tilting the rifle will cause this as well.
Three of my rifles now have bubble levels on the scope mounting base as a result.

Wind may be causing this, wont take much of a wind variation to throw the impact off,canting will cause some horizontal abberation, your grip, cheek weld, and shoulder to buttstock marriage will most likely be the culprit. Think of your shooting form as a golf swing and try to duplicate the components involved with breaking the shot every time. Recoil mechanics will be consitent, however changing your grip tension or any other aspect of your shooting form will result in a different point of impact.

G'Day Fella's,

Precisely my thoughts JD338!

I'm no bench rest shooter my self but I do like to try!
Years ago during many of my earlier range sessions, I was having the same Horizontal stringing problems.
A mate and very good BR shooter (SE), once told me that I would shoot better groups, if I was using a better front rest and rear bag!
Eventually this happened and the Horizontal stringing became less of a problem.

Another possibility, and one that I still have problems with when bench testing light hunting rifles, is they move about on the bags very easily and this can cause group size to string out Horizontally!

Kill Deer Now, I hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Thanks all, your advice is appreciated.

Guy, I knew you had good advice depending on the trend of groups. I just couldn't find your posts (they were years ago I think). I'm thinking it's the shoulder/butt alignment because that seems to be the highly dynamic error in the equation. I'm removing shirts, adding jackets, etc.

I'm hitting the range tomorrow morning...

Standby for more,

V/R

Another vote for trigger pull. This problem often begins with improper placement of the trigger finger. Make sure you are placing the center of the first pad on the trigger. In addition if a rifle is not properly fit to the shooter, especially if it's too short, it can cause the shooter to put his finger too deep onto the trigger, and string his shots left to right.

As previously mentioned, also watch your follow throught. Your rifle should recoil straight back, and the barrel should move straight up. If there is a horizonal or diagnal movement during the recoil pulse, you are not holding the rifle straight. In addition this could be the result of an shooting position that is not straight behind the rifle.....As you can see, this could be a result of several small subtilties in basic fundamentals, and can be difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Kodiak made a comment that bears consideration, vision. I first experienced the phenomenon back in 1995 at a NTOA advanced sniper school. Long story short several good instructors were trying to help me figure out why I was stringing. I learned a lot through all their efforts. One of the instructors caught me rubbing me shooting eye, then trying to see the numbers on my elevation turret. Went to the eye doc, turns out I have astigmatism. If I shoot without my RX glasses I'll string my shots. With the lens typically no stringing.
The reason I commented was it more or less happened over night for me and it sounds like that was the case for you.

Gents, the feedback is/was much appreciated. I headed to the range the other day (yeah, sad isn't it regarding the time lapse) and had some great groupings with ZERO (yes, I'm yelling) horizontal stringing.

Thanks again,

V/R

salmonchaser":2a8eywzx said:
Kodiak made a comment that bears consideration, vision. I first experienced the phenomenon back in 1995 at a NTOA advanced sniper school. Long story short several good instructors were trying to help me figure out why I was stringing. I learned a lot through all their efforts. One of the instructors caught me rubbing me shooting eye, then trying to see the numbers on my elevation turret. Went to the eye doc, turns out I have astigmatism. If I shoot without my RX glasses I'll string my shots. With the lens typically no stringing.
The reason I commented was it more or less happened over night for me and it sounds like that was the case for you.

I also have astigmatism and string when not wearing my glasses.

HOGWILD338-378":36k2fowr said:
So you have the stringing fixed now? What was the actual cause ?

The stringing is fixed...for now. I don't know the actual cause but I did put a level on the scope and a line on my finger so I had a consistent feel for the trigger. That and I waited for a calm day to go out on. That way I eliminated cant, trigger pull and wind.

I did have my eyes checked (seriously) for other reasons and they checked out good (had PRK awhile back and was experiencing some dryness).

BTW, I love the maintenance badge. I too hold a 7-level--worked on the dart for 10 years. Thanks for your service.

Take care,

Glad ya got it sorted out Rob and thank you for your service as well! The C130 was a forgiving Bird! All 20 on The Herk! All but the AC 130!

Back