Biathlon!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I am enjoying watching the men's and women's biathlon events in the Olympics!

What speed, stamina and accuracy. Love it!

Guy

Absolutely! Always wished they would have had that as a para-lympic event. I worked on a proto-type X-Country Pulk Ski in college. I was a lousy skier - and never been a good shot, but I woulda liked to try! Fun to watch for sure. CL

Those guys are animals! Would love to see the price tag on a olympic level rifle like that. The anschutz fortner is about $4k new, but i would imagine there is about 2k more involved from stock form.

The biathlon and nordic skiing events are about the only things I watch. Both my son and daughter were involved with these events back in their high school days. Nordic skiing is the most demanding sport I have ever done (used to do triathlons), and I don't know how anyone can get their breathing and heart rate down to a level to be this precise after hammering a few "K" at the speeds they go.

In Minnesota there are several camps that interested nordic skiers can attend, but the attrition rate for leaving the program is really high and few stick with it. Yes, the rifles are expensive. I found a used one when my son first got in the program and it was over $1500 back in 2001 and that was not a high end model.

I skied for about an hour and a half this morning, cross-country, but I don't think I quite matched this fellow's pace... :wink:

Anyone see the woman, Russian I think, that fell and broke her gun in half? They probably cut off her trigger finger for that!

Back