6.5 Creedmore in 20 inch barrel?

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
Anyone chronographed the Creedmore in a shorter than normal barrel?

Thinking of going tactical with one, but not sure about chopping off that much barrel length.

You will lose more velocity per inch than a 308 but it all depends on what your velocity goal is. I would think a 130 in the Creedmoor will get you 2800ish and a 140 2700ish. This is based on what I have seen with the 6.5x47 which is similar. I am sure you can over pressure and achieve more velocity but that lends problems. I run a 22" barrel on my 6x47 and run a 105 hybrid at 3000, down 150 fps from the original 3150 with the 26" barrel.

You will lose more velocity per inch than a 308 but it all depends on what your velocity goal is. I would think a 130 in the Creedmoor will get you 2800ish and a 140 2700ish. This is based on what I have seen with the 6.5x47 which is similar. I am sure you can over pressure and achieve more velocity but that lends problems. I run a 22" barrel on my 6x47 and run a 105 hybrid at 3000, down 150 fps from the original 3150 with the 26" barrel.
Powder can dictate amount of fps per inch of loss.

I haven't checked velocity with factory Hornady match 120amax yet, but I do have barrels in 18, 20, 22 and 24".

depends on thee barrel and chamber, my 22" AR 10 runs a 140 at 2578 with a book max load of IMR 4831, but shoots well enough I will shoot what I have loaded before doing more loadwork. Shot a hen turkey in the head at 336 yards with it this past season.

You can actually get 2800 fps with a 130 gr. bullet out of any length Creed barrel? Sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up. That would surprise me. Didnt think the case had that kind of capacity.

OK curiosity got the better of me. Didnt think the Creed case was blown out that much from my 250 Sav. I guess there is room....
1670985347019.png

Last edited:
The creed is SAAMI rateed too higher pressure than the 250, about the only difference in the creed and the 6.5/250
For those who say the 6.5creed is faster than 260rem is mistaken! I get an extra 100fps or more with the 260. Marketing put it on top is all. Drop the 6.5creed down to 260rem max pressure and it'll be even more of a spread. I have both and both are equally accurate.

what folks don't realize is, in modern rifles most of the time, you can load about all modern cartridges too the same pressure. if you have a rifle with a bit larger chamber, just add powder aa bit at a time till you get .001 casehead expansioon then back off a tad. load manuals are just an average. I have rifles that shoot faster than they should and some slower. its not hard too figure out. it all depends on the chamber and barrel.

what folks don't realize is, in modern rifles most of the time, you can load about all modern cartridges too the same pressure. if you have a rifle with a bit larger chamber, just add powder aa bit at a time till you get .001 casehead expansioon then back off a tad. load manuals are just an average. I have rifles that shoot faster than they should and some slower. its not hard too figure out. it all depends on the chamber and barrel.
^^^^what he said^^^^^^

"The creed is SAAMI rated too higher pressure than the 250, about the only difference in the creed and the 6.5/250." makes sense.

I had no problem getting 143s to 2750 in an 18" barrel with Superformance powder at max book loads. 24" barrels were 100-125fps faster. I still had room in the case and excellent case life, so faster wouldn't have been out of the question. But routine 1/2" groups told me it was time to stop.

Max book 143s with H4350 were 2600 in the 18" and 2675 in the 24"

I run a 22" custom AR-10, I got the rifle, loaded up 50 rounds of berger 140's with aa max load of IMR 4831, was disapointed that it chrony'd 2578 but it does shoot very well, will do loadwork when time permits, all in all its a good little round, I also like the grendel.
How well does the creed shoot? this turkey was ranged at 336 yards, was confidant enough in it that where the bullet hole is was the aiming point!
yPfHouU.jpg

I run a 22" custom AR-10, I got the rifle, loaded up 50 rounds of berger 140's with aa max load of IMR 4831, was disapointed that it chrony'd 2578 but it does shoot very well, will do loadwork when time permits, all in all its a good little round, I also like the grendel.
How well does the creed shoot? this turkey was ranged at 336 yards, was confidant enough in it that where the bullet hole is was the aiming point!
yPfHouU.jpg
The Creed may be accurate but the shooter ain’t too shabby either.

Back