F-Class Shoot

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Well, had our last F-Class match of the season today. We had a good turn out with 12 shooters. Winds were calm for the first two relays for all shooters, then all hell broke loose. I shot a 566-4x, second place was a 565-12x, and third was 565-10x. All three of us were on the last relay of the day and were all within 2 points of each other. So it was a lot of fun "encouraging" one another :grin: Winds were bad, 10-15mph and gusty but we all gave it hell. Myself and the second place gentleman, both shot 182's, and the third gentleman shot a 183 :mrgreen: So it really came down to the wire, It was an absolute blast! I'm sure they were both in cahoots to sandbag it though.

I stayed after the shoot with a buddy just to see if my attempts to lower ES were validated. I upped my powder charge to fill more of the case and have less air space with the Nosler brass. I chronographed them while I shot them at 1,000 yards, Velocity came in right at 2,903 fps with an ES of 15 fps. In the picture you can see my five shots, vertical held at 6.5" which is what I was looking for, Horizontal spread is 16". That dang wind can really push those 215gr pills around, but it was a great learning expereince.

After that, my good friend and I started shooting at the life size steel animals on the range with our hunting rifles. Our goal was to make a first round hit in the vitals. We were both successful on the bull elk at 1,025 yards, he hit the Coyote at 1,108 right on the shoulder, while I hit it in the guts, and finally we decided to try a boar silhouette. I ranged it at 1,229 yards with the Leica. I dialed in 30 MOA up and 3.5 MOA left wind and let her fly, and made a nice splat on the white target behind the shoulder. I giggled like a little girl! Of course I had to try a second shot, I should have stopped while I was ahead. The wind let up on me and I missed it, hit the boar right at the base of the tail :oops: It great fun with great company! While I won't shoot that far at game, it's nice to have the confidence that it can be done, especially in todays conditions.

Great day overall!

Attachments

• 0920141855.jpg
    0920141855.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,565
Cool!

I've seen targets like that of my own. Pretty tight vertical, and spread pretty wide horizontal, due to the wind...

Nice shooting in tough conditions.

Guy

Back