Across the Course High Power

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
I just shot my first 80-shot Across the Course match today with my M1 today. It was a whole lot of fun. The wind was killer for off-hand and was blowing pretty hard whenever I wasn't in the pits.

I shot a 505. Need to order a couple thousand custom competitions and get out there and practice.

Congratulations! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You've taken the first step to success.

Congratulations!

It's a fun course, really a good test of marksmanship skills.

Guy

Congrats on your first match. Definitely a challenge with an M1. I always wanted to try OTC with the Garand, but mine just wasn't accurate enough to be worthwhile trying. Haven't run and OTC yet, but have shot a couple of MR 600 yard matches with my RRA NM.

I also like the vintage "games" matches in which I typically run a Swiss or Swedish bolt gun. You'll be on a level playing field with your M1 in these matches. Shooting at range in the wind from field positions really gives you a leg up on about 95% of the keyboard commandos that can quote ballistics on their super guns to 1000 yards, brag about a super low standard deviation of velocity and cloverleaf 100 yard bench groups. Keep it up, enjoy the shooting. You'll find lots of helpful advice for loading and shooting your M1 over on CMP forums. Good luck!

Congrats!
Almost the most fun one can have with their clothes on.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Polaris":3su75kjh said:
Congrats on your first match. Definitely a challenge with an M1. I always wanted to try OTC with the Garand, but mine just wasn't accurate enough to be worthwhile trying. Haven't run and OTC yet, but have shot a couple of MR 600 yard matches with my RRA NM.

I also like the vintage "games" matches in which I typically run a Swiss or Swedish bolt gun. You'll be on a level playing field with your M1 in these matches. Shooting at range in the wind from field positions really gives you a leg up on about 95% of the keyboard commandos that can quote ballistics on their super guns to 1000 yards, brag about a super low standard deviation of velocity and cloverleaf 100 yard bench groups. Keep it up, enjoy the shooting. You'll find lots of helpful advice for loading and shooting your M1 over on CMP forums. Good luck!

THAT is a great post! (y)

Hey guys,

I shot my third match in July. It was just an unofficial match since it was the same week as the national matches and scored a 554. It was the worst standing score I've shot so far but the best overall score.

I'm pretty pumped up for the next match. I finally got my creedmore hardback coat that I ordered in March. With switching to 123 grain lapua FMJs for the 200-300 yard shots and up to full power 175s for 600 I'm pretty confident that I'll shoot above a 600 especially with the dry firing and holding drills I've been doing for standing.

Excellent. I have the Creedmoore jacket as well. Excellent piece of gear.

Yes, plenty of dry firing helps! Doing well in the standing helps the score a lot.

Best of luck!

Guy

That is a great report. Congratulations for tackling this new challenge.

Thanks guys.

The creedmore coat is awesome so far. The only complaint I have is the tapered cut isn't as tapered as I am. I hope to get out to the range tomorrow after work but I don't know if I'll get the chance.

I know I'm not ready but I'm signing up for an EIC match in October. My goal is to shoot in the Presidents Match and go distinguished before I leave the army.

Keep up the shooting, that's how you learn. Do check out the CMP forums. There are many distinguished riflemen and HM high power shooters on there who can steer you in the right direction. RE EIC. Work up a good load with the 168 CC and stick with it. You don't get sighters in EIC and switching loads will drive you insane chasing your zero over 200, 300 and 600 yards. 45 grains of Varget, 4895, R15 or 4064 should work if memory serves. You mentioned you are in the Service. Don't know how it works, but you may be able to access a NM AR from the AMU for registered matches. I love shooting the Garands, but there is no doubt after a summer of XTC and EIC matches that a NM AR is a superior tool for pounding 10s instead of your shoulder and wallet (component usage is about half the $$ vs 30 cal).

I just picked up a "built" Garand from a fellow HP shooter. He put it together back when new old stock GI parts were cheap and plentiful with the intent of making the most accurate JCG legal rifle possible, then he went to the dark side when AR rifles and loads became sufficient for long line competition. Birch stock, carefully matched and fitted parts, the works. He gave me a good deal as he wanted it to go to an active match shooter who will win jewelry with it. Looking forward to playing with it and running it in the occasional EIC when I am bored with the plastic gun. I still shoot offhand much better with wood guns.

I changed my load from 155s to 175s for the 600 yard prone. This is a 5 shot group at a bit over 100 yards. It's about 2.5 inches wide. I think I jacked up my trigger squeeze for the shot on the left.

Attachments

• received_946132608766143.jpeg
    received_946132608766143.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 10,194
Just shot another match on Saturday and scored a 638-5X. I improved 51 points in standing with some dry firing practice and with my coat. The only stage that I didn't improve on was 300 yard prone rapid fire which I attribute to poor sling and body position. Next month is the Bayou state championship and while I dont think I'll win, I think I have a good shot at Sharpshooter.

Yesterday's match was the Bayou state high power competition. It didn't go well for me. I had some improvements in my standing and rapid prone but everything else went down hill. My sights slipped during the 200 rapids and took a serious hit on the first string and then shot an 87 on the second string. The elevation drum isn't in the best condition so I'm ordering a new one. The wind kicked up at the 600 yard line and I wasn't on it like I should have been.

I'm making the move away from the Garand, only because my amazing and beautiful wife went and bought me a new loaded M1A. I'm pretty lucky to have that kind of a wife. The loaded needs a little bit of work on the barrel band and gas cylinder to make it solid but it doesn't need everything the Garand does. The best part is she can come out and shoot with me now when I get the M1's sights set up.

It is really great that your good lady bought you a new M1A. Always a good thing when the family shares in the sport. Perhaps the Bayou State Competition wasn't all you wanted, but it sounds as if you scored well with your wife. Congratulations.

The November match was cancelled due to the Louisiana rain. I took the opportunity to get the M1 back on paper. I recently installed a NM front sight, a new elevation pinion and a hooded .520 rear sight aperture on it. Aside from less clicks up to 100, it was dead on at 100 yards with a five shot group in the 9 ring of a 600 yard reduced target with all of distance caused by vertical dispersion. I hate laying on concrete!

The M1A has been getting small modifications. I shimmed the gas cylinder and cranked down the gas cylinder lock so everything is nice and snug. As I was about ready to take it out to start practicing, I ran the elevation knob up and was disgusted by how it felt in comparison to my new knob on the M1. It was so bad that that if there were clicks it was random luck. After taking the sight apart, I discovered that the small tab that snaps into the serrations on the receiver was square instead of pointed. This is no good! Now I got to get another rear sight pinion for that rifle too. The M1 style rear sight has frustrated me so much that if I wasn't a lefty, I'd switch to the AR.

The next match is the Louisiana M1 tournament. It's held in December to commemorate Pearl Harbor and the Battle of the Bulge. After that the M1 is getting a trigger job, glass bedded and the front end tightened up. I'm tempted to take this opportunity to replace the 1952 barrel but it shoots so good when things are right that I might just have it recrowned.

I came in 3rd at today's M1 match. It was only a 50 shot match though. I shot an 85-1X offhand, 91-0 sitting, 64-0 rapid prone, and 170-2X slow prone. I wasn't paying attention to the wind st 600. It was blowing at a consistent speed but the direction moved between 5 and 7 O'clock. I didn't realize what a difference that made at 600.

I have no idea why my rapid phones haven't improved. I guess I need to load up some practice ammo and hit the range. Dry firing only gets you so far I guess.

I think the offhand score is pretty impressive! Good job.

Yeah, the wind plays havoc at 600 yards, doesn't it?

Congrats on a good finish though! (y)

Guy

Back