600 Yard F-Class match W/6.5X47

1000yardline

Beginner
Sep 13, 2014
Took the 6.5 out to our first 600 yard F-Class match of the year, really happy with how it performs. Ended up with a 584-24X, competition was pretty tight, other top performers were using 6mm BR's and one 6X47 Lapua. But, my little 47 pulled through. Wind was 3-7mph all day, a few switches but mostly from 9 o'clock. Really fun day! Looking forward to the 1,000 yard match this coming Saturday.

The pic of the target is after two of my rounds and one round of the fella who shot a 581, 66 shots total on that target.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 6,864
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 6,863
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6,863
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6,863
That is really great shooting. A great job by both you and your rifle! Congratulations!!!

Nice shooting! I wish I could get my 6.5X47 Lapua to shoot anything consistently. Looks like yours shoots fantastic though! Congrats!

Very nice!

That target perfectly illustrates what I try to explain to people as their interest in longer-range shooting grows.. WIND is the problem. It's pretty simple to dial for range. WIND though...

You did well.

Guy

Give us the details of your load...bullet, powder, primer, etc. What is the stock you built the rifle on? I use the same rear bag for my matches. It looks like your scores should get you to master classification...nice shooting.

Thanks fella's! Guy, wind is th hard part, that's what keeps it interesting!

Rifle was built by S&S precision, specs are the following
Trued and blueprinted Remington 700
McMillan MBR Stock that was hydro dipped
Krieger 1-8.5" twist MHV contour, finished at 27 1/4"
Jewell trigger
Nesika 20 MOA bases
Kelbly rings
Leupold strait 36X scope

Load:
140gr Berger Hybrid
40.0grs H4350
CCI BR4
Lapua brass
2.107" CBTO Puts it 0.015" off the rifling

Runs at 2,741FPS via magneto chrono with a SD of 7fps. Chamber has a 0.296" neck

Guy Miner":r178se3t said:
Have to love that 7 fps SD...

Nice work at the loading bench.

I have seen a lot of good shooters and rifles succumb to the "velocity factor" I've ran my rifle up to 2,850+ before pressure but my SD was 17+ and my extreme spread wouldn't even hold the 10 ring at 600 yards. I've shot a lot of Service rifle high power matches and have played with wind vs SD. In my experience, wind reading is the dominant factor; and is an art that is never mastered. However, I have realized to give up points due to elevation in fool-hearty and a waste of time. So what if a .284 Win. Has 8" less drift at 1,000...I'm okay with losing points for wind, it's a constant learning curve, but losing point to elevation....oooyyyy.... I've got no sympathy. I really enjoy learning to read wind and mirage; it's an elegant art to me.... Call me crazy but I'd take getting humbled by the wind over shooting par in golf any day!

Let us know how the 1000 yard matches go. I will be interested in knowing how many minutes you have to come up from 600 to 1000 with the velocities you are running. In my 6BRX it is 12 minutes running the 105 hybrid at 2980.

Wind reading is what separates the good shooters from the also-rans. The LR state champion here last year was shooting a 6 Dasher and managed to beat all the guys shooting the big 7's with their higher BC bullets. The wind was fairly low the first day and a lot of guys shot high 190's with mid-teen X counts (I even managed one 199-13X). Day two humbled most, but it really separated the guys who knew which flags to watch and paid attention to the mirage. If you have gusty winds you will have to pay attention to spin drift as well, especially at 1000.

Back